Win7 x64 driver installation - rt click on ftdibus.inf error

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Win7 x64 driver installation - rt click on ftdibus.inf error

Postby prodevel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:11 pm

To preface, I've been using the unit w/Win7's default driver, 'Microsoft ehome Transceiver' for well over a year w/out issues up until a couple of months ago, even on the RC build. Now I have to mash on my MCE remote for a while to get it working again, sometimes w/out success.

I'm now on release Win7 x64, w/the same problem.

Also, in browsing the forums, I keep seeing mention of a 'support document' that I've been unable to find.

That being said, when I right click the .inf included w/the USBUIRT_Win7_Vista_v20216.zip, and click Install, I get an error stating that the INF file you have selected does not support this method of installation. I'm sure if I were a bit more MS-saavy, and/or had the support doc, I'd probably get it. Not to discount my puter-fu, though...

Also, unfortunately when I uninstall the MS ehome Tranceiver driver, it'll prompt me to reboot, which wiil just reinstall the same driver on bootup, obviously. Regardless, I can't install the native driver even if I choose not to reboot...

Thanks very much in advance for your time and help.
prodevel

Jumped the gun

Postby prodevel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:22 pm

Forgot about going through device mgr, and eventually selecting Have Disk...

Sorry. I'll post again soon.
prodevel

Postby prodevel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:18 pm

After uninstalling the MS 'ehome' driver and going in via device mgr and selecting Have Disk, it's now stating that it couldn't find a compatible driver and to make sure any driver is made for x64...

Not sure where to go from here - anyone know about the 'support document' I mentioned earlier?

I would have hoped it would have worked by right clicking the .inf and Install'ing.

Going to try re-downloading, for now - can't think of anything else off the top of my head...
prodevel

Postby prodevel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:31 am

Well I've come the closest I (think) I'll be getting. I was able to get Win7 to _try_ to install the driver by letting it first configure the 'ehome IR Tranceiver' and then going through Devices & Printers and props and updating the driver through that, although the install eventually times out. On top of that, it's obviously still trying to install it b/c one cpu is pegged at 100%, even after throwing the time out. I'll wait it out this time to see if maybe something happens but I waited a couple hours last time.

prodevel

Postby prodevel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:39 am

Well I waited quite a while and eventually rebooted (which hung) and then when it did try to boot, it wouldn't. Unplugged UIRT and rebooted and it went into startup repair and I've lost a serveral (easily reincorporated) settings. I think I'm done for the day. I fiddled a bit w/FTDI's stuff to no avail - could not pass 'go'.

I'll head back to win7 build 7100 for tonight so I can boob tube and will go on the hunt again tomorrow morning from my fresh win7 home premium build again.

Thanks for reading.
prodevel

Postby prodevel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:13 pm

Aplogies - huge brain fart on this one. Windows update on the release version of win7 fixed this so that ehome Tranceiver works perfectly (for now.)

boo, me!
prodevel

Postby prodevel » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:33 pm

Oh OF COURSE it stops working RIGHT AFTER I post that it was. Still working on this...
prodevel

Postby prodevel » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:19 am

I guess I will have to try Girder or eventghost. It was nice while it lasted, but MS ehome transceiver isn't working anymore... I'm not even sure Girder will help w/my MCE remote that came w/my hauppauge 1800 but i'll give it a go after trying EG.
prodevel

Postby prodevel » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Well the remote is somehow, magically working but now I realize the IR transmitter is not. One small step for man...
prodevel

Postby prodevel » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:31 am

Down again, but it's still flashing at least... Worked for a few days and stopped recently.
prodevel

Return to Troubleshooting