.ir file never the same from one learn to another

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

.ir file never the same from one learn to another

Postby mrnitpicky » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:01 pm

I have a problem every once in a while where the channel will not change to the correct channel on my stb.

In my quest to fix this problem, I have learned the remote at least 15 times (naming the file slightly differently so a new file will be created). No two of those files are the same!

What I'm talking about is - if I cut and paste the learned code for "1" for example into a file, they are all different! Why is that? I mean, there must be some definite value for a "1" for a particular remote, no?

I've been very careful in making sure that the ambient lighting is the same, and that the distance between the remote and the uirt are the same every time.

Can someone shed some light on this? i.e - is there somewhere I could download the definitive codes for my remote? (It's a Synergy V I just received from Time-Warner to control a Scientific Atlanta stb). I've looked quite a bit, and haven't yet found anything like this.

grant
Grant Baxter
mrnitpicky

Postby canoewhiteh2o » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:00 pm

It's not uncommon for learned signals to be slightly different. Any learned signal will not be completely accurate (sometimes referred to as a dirty signal) but will generally be accurate enough to work. Typically a error of up to as much as 10% will still control your device.

Your cable box probably uses an XMP, IR protocol. This is a very difficult protocol to learn and probably accounts for your inability to learn with the usbuirt.
canoewhiteh2o

Postby mrnitpicky » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:11 pm

Thanks, canoe.

grant
Grant Baxter
mrnitpicky

Return to Troubleshooting