USB-UIRT failing after power fluctuates

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT failing after power fluctuates

Postby dlightle » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:12 pm

I've had a USB-UIRT for many years now and haven't had an ounce of problem with my setup. Naturally by my being here now then, I have a problem that I'm struggling to resolve.

I just upgraded to a new PVR Server (running BeyondTV 4.9) with an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard (this could be important is why I include it).

I am running two DishNetwork 311 receivers using zones from a single UIRT (both controlled from the separate mono IRs and not from the actual UIRT).

The problem that happens is a temporary failure of the USB UIRT to work at all, no channel changes happening on either receiver. However, I'm able to uninstall the UIRT device and reinstall and it works again.

The main source I have noticed is that this occurs when there is a brown-out basically -- power dips even briefly, sometimes long enough to turn off the electricity, sometimes less than a second. Now, I have all of my hardware on a fairly beefy UPS (with no monitor either, so longer runtimes than those with) which is also supposed to do voltage regulation.

Well, the computer doesn't turn off, and I notice no failure in anything except the UIRT. I also haven't noticed any error messages, warnings, exceptions, etc. (some people in a thread mentioned USB Power Overloads or something I think).

I never had these troubles prior to upgrading, so I'm not sure whether the issue is with the UIRT or another component. I'm almost leaning toward the motherboard as a culprit as well. The backplate (the plate covering all the connectors on the rear of the case, which comes with the motherboard) is slightly different than normal in what ASUS says is to reduce EMI (they don't have the annoying tabs and such) and this makes me nervous since I was following the thread here.

I even went so far as to purchase a ferrite bead and install it on the USB UIRT cable and that didn't alleviate any problems, so I don't think it's completely related to that thread but possibly.

My other concern that it could be the motherboard is that no other component fails, but this is also the only USB component I have attached at all times. I have wondered about the power overloading (poor grounding or just voltage not properly regulated) as being a cause, even though I've never seen the warnings/errors related to that.

Any advice on what to do or what to look into? Sorry for the long-winded post.
dlightle

Return to Troubleshooting