Always flashing red because of my monitor

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Always flashing red because of my monitor

Postby Pete » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:26 am

My new USB-UIRT + 56K option was always flashing red on the day I received it because of my monitor (an LG L245wp-bn 24" widescreen LCD). I've solved the problem but I'm posting in case it helps other people.

Apparently this monitor constantly beams infrared signals! The USB-UIRT was "overloaded" with these signals and wouldn't accept any from my remote control. This happened when I put the USB-UIRT in front of the monitor and even when I put it behind the monitor (I guess the signals were bouncing off the walls). I thought that I had bought a defective unit and was really disappointed.

However, the USB-UIRT stopped flashing red when I (1) turned off my monitor, (2) held my hand in front of the USB-UIRT, or (3) put it behind the monitor and turned it so that it was facing 'west' (with my monitor and me on the north-south axis).

(3) is the solution that I'm using. It works fine while the USB-UIRT, my monitor, and I are all at my computer desk. I don't know if it will work when I'll have a couch six feet behind me and using the remote control from there. If not I hope that there will eventually be a solution so that I can point the USB-UIRT directly at me.

Another thing about this was that I purchased the USB-UIRT because I thought that my old serial-port IR receiver had died on me or was somehow incompatible with my new monitor's drivers (I know, it was hard to believe). Now however I realize that the previous IR receiver was probably not broken and I could have just turned it sideways.

Oh well, I'm glad that I bought the USB-UIRT anyway. It seems to be of quality construction and I like the flashing red light (which my previous receiver didn't have).

Hope this info helps someone.
Pete

Postby erikt » Wed May 07, 2008 7:37 pm

Same thing can happen with compact florescent bulbs, BTW, especially as they're warming up.
erikt

Postby charles.rich » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:53 pm

You saved me! My LCD Monitor was doing the same thing.

THIS REALLY SHOULD BE MENTIONED IN THE INSTRUCTIONS SOMEWHERE!

-CR
charles.rich

Postby carolin » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:42 am

What are the improvements of a DVI video card on my LCD monitor? I prefer LCD monitors beocouse when I´m using the CRT monitor my eyes feel tired after 2 or 3 hours. I like the vibrant color of the LCD, but it is known that the color are not 8-bit, they present color in 6-bit, Can a video card improve the performace of an LCD monitor?

Return to Troubleshooting