USB-UIRT driver crashes when resuming from standby/hibernate

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT driver crashes when resuming from standby/hibernate

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:00 pm

Hello,

I'm having some strange problems with the USB-UIRT driver. It crashes when I wake up my HTPC from standby or hibernate. Often I even get a blue screen with a BAD_POOL stop error after resuming from hibernate. Sometimes a I also get warning about "Power surge on USB" which seems to suggest that too much current is used.

The computer behaves completely normal and does not crash after standby/hibernate if I don't have USB-UIRT connected. I'm hoping that this can be solved.

Here are details about my setup:

I have an ATI Remote Wonder II remote control that is connected to USB port 1 on the HTPC. In order to be able to wake up my computer using the remote I had to do the following:

First of all I have changed a jumper on my motherboard (ASUS P5GD1) to +5VSB to enable USB wake-up on ports 1 and 2.

However, this alone did not allow me to wake up the HTPC using the remote, so I also had to apply the registry fix so that Windows will allow wake up. (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841858) I know that Microsoft does not recommend that you do this, but this enabled me to wake up the PC using the remote so I was happy... :)

Ok so far so good. Now I got USB-UIRT and the plan was to connect it to USB port 3 or 4. I did not change the motherboard jumper for these ports so they should not support wake up, but that is ok since I don't plan to use USB-UIRT for waking up the computer anyway.

BUT! The problem was that when I plugged in the USB-UIRT in port 3 the computer refused to go into standby mode. The driver was somehow preventing Windows from shutting itself down. This was clearly not good.

Instead I tried to plugin the USB-UIRT in port 2 (which could be used for wake up). When doing this the computer suddenly could go into standby mode alright (very strange, but it worked). I was very happy again, thinking the problem was solved. But now I have this problem with crashes and power surge so clearly something is still not working right.

The best would be if I could get the device plugged into port 3 or 4, AND be able to go into standby without any crashes or blue screens when resuming. I'm hoping this can be done! :roll:

Has anyone had any similar experience or know how this can be solved?

Postby Pontus » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:16 pm

Here is the error I get in the event log when the system crashes:

Source: System Error
Category: (102)
Event ID: 1003

Error code 000000c2, parameter1 00000007, parameter2 00000cd4, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 c8b7b1f6.

EventID.Net indicates that this error is BAD_POOL_CALLER, which indeed was displayed on my blue screen.

Going to Microsoft knowledge base gives the following article: How to Debug "Stop 0xC2" or "Stop 0x000000C2" Error Messages

From the description there it seems that the error comes from a call to free memory which was already freed, probably as a result of memory not being held during standby.

I hope this helps to further investigate the issue...
Pontus

Postby jrhees » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:43 am

Pontus,

Ok, here's some things to try. It appears that this may have something to do with the USB *host* chip driver on your system.

In any case, the first thing to do is try turning off wake-up capability on the USB-UIRT. This will allow you to use the USB-UIRT on ports 3 or 4. Are you running Girder?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Pontus » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:19 am

How do I turn off the wake-up capability? I have not seen any settings dialog for the USB-UIRT driver anywhere.

I'm not using Girder. I'm using Mediaportal and USB-UIRT is used to switch channels on the external tuner.
Pontus

Postby jrhees » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:18 am

That's why I asked about Girder. Currently it is the only app with a way to turn this feature on and off. Please contact me at support@usbuirt.com

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby tomprout » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:52 pm

My USBUIRT does not make my pc crash but after resume from hibernate mode usbuirt don't work I have to restart the computer to get it works.
Usbuirt is managed by Xlobby mediacenter application, I also use girder with my Imon remote but usbuirt plugin is not loaded in girder.
Any idea ?
tomprout

Postby tomprout » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:08 pm

Up !

Nobody can help me ?

Note : The problem happens when resume from standby too.
tomprout

Postby jrhees » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:51 pm

contact support@usbuirt.com and we'll debug this.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby tomprout » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:42 pm

I think I solved my problem. I will confirm this week end.

If I ask girder (which manages my usbuirt) to standby my computer instead of another third party program or windows when my PC comes out from standby it seems to work.
tomprout

Return to Troubleshooting