Red light always on, it quit working yesterday

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Red light always on, it quit working yesterday

Postby hpras » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:29 pm

Hi All.

It was working great until yesterday morning. The indicator light used to come on on a remote press, and occasionally just randomly. Now it is just on all the time. Using the usbuirt in an opensuse 10.1 mythtv setup. I had done a bunch of updates the day before, but it was working after the reboot.

dmesg gives:
usb 1-5: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 5
usb 1-5: new device found, idVendor=0403, idProduct=f850
usb 1-5: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-5: Product: USB-UIRT
usb 1-5: Manufacturer: FTDI
usb 1-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
ftdi_sio 1-5:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: Detected FT232BM
usb 1-5: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

lircd gives:Feb 9 08:05:41 reggie lircd: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
Feb 9 08:05:42 reggie lircd: uirt2_raw: did not receive results
Feb 9 08:05:44 reggie lircd: uirt2_raw: did not receive results
Feb 9 08:05:44 reggie lircd: uirt2_raw: No UIRT2 device found at /dev/ttyUSB0
Feb 9 08:05:44 reggie lircd: caught signal.

Plugged directly into the computer, no hub used.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Hans
hpras

Postby src » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:07 am

My USBUIRT just failed in this manner today. Solid red light, no response.

I'm running the latest drivers on Vista 64. Any word on how bad this failure is? I've only had this one for about a month, so this is quite disappointing.
src

Postby ldkronos » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:53 pm

I just had the same failure today. I had been using it on a linux machine. I used it and it worked perfectly. I walked away and came back 30 minutes later and the light was stuck on. Now it won't respond to anything. I plugged it into a windows box (where I once had it hooked up and working) and now it was no longer working. Lrnhelper.exe fails with an error that it can't communicate with the device.

I'm a bit disappointed in this device. I've only had it for 2 months and it's failed. It's reception has been way poorer than another device I was previously using (it's much more finicky about the remote being pointed directly at the usbuirt). Generating a config file with irrecord is much more error prone. And the number one reason I upgraded to this device over my previous IR receiver...ability to wake from suspend to ram...doesn't appear to function properly under linux.

I don't exactly blame the company for some of these problem (after all, linux isn't officially supported) but that doesn't do much to cure my disappointment.
ldkronos

Postby jam6478 » Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:58 pm

This is exactly the same thing that happened to my USB-UIRT just today. I only have used it for a little over a month, and was satisfied until now...

I'm doubting that it will still ever work, but will be checking this thread.
jam6478

Postby ldkronos » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:52 am

Well, as I said before mine wasn't working. I even tried it on multiple computers, let it sit for a while and tried it again, all to no avail.

Well, I forgot to contact customer service to schedule a return all week. Now today, for some reason I just decided to plug it in again, and mysteriously it has begun working again. Of course, that's not good enough for me, but it is quite interesting. If it ever breaks for anyone after its out of warranty, there might be some hope. Perhaps it experiences an error condition and it takes a long time for the capacitors to discharge and reset its memory.
ldkronos

Postby ebr » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:25 pm

Did anyone ever get a resolution to this?

Mine did this to me yesterday. I unplugged, re-plugged, re-started, etc. to no avail.

I left it plugged in all night, came back today and the light was off but it still didn't respond. Un plugged it again, plugged it back in and the light is back on and no response...
ebr

Return to Troubleshooting