Lost the ability to learn?

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Lost the ability to learn?

Postby McGuireV10 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:03 pm

Apparently my USB-UIRT suddenly lost the ability to learn.

I've been setting up some simple IR-to-RS232 stuff through IOX (a great program if your needs are simple) and earlier today I successfully learned 16 IR codes.

Then I went to set up about six more, and it stopped learning. It still receives when not in learn mode. In IOX the little learn progress bar doesn't move either, and if I remember right, that's controlled by the driver.

I downloaded lrnhelper and confirmed it, regular receive works, but learn does not. I've never used lrnhelper on a working USB-UIRT so I don't know if there is a progress bar there or not -- it looks like there is, and if there is, it doesn't move either.

I don't have any emitters attached to it, so I'm guessing the interference thing people are talking about in the other thread about it dying periodically may not apply here (or the EFI theory is wrong). I've unplugged it and plugged it back in, and I've rebooted. No effect.

What gives???
McGuireV10

Postby McGuireV10 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:15 pm

Well, now it seems to be flaky about receiving IR in non-learn mode, too. Learn seems to have failed completely, but sometimes it still receives just fine... until I attempt to learn, then it fails to report the event -- although the LED still blinks.

The LED doesn't blink at all in learn mode now.

This is with the latest driver (downloaded yesterday) and firmware 5.9.
McGuireV10

Postby canoewhiteh2o » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:08 pm

I would suggest trying to learn and transmitt with the irhelper app. If you do not have irhelper you can request it from usbuirt support. If this does not learn and transmit then you probably have a device or driver problem. If it does work you have a software issue.

Gary B
canoewhiteh2o

Postby smr888 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:18 pm

I am having the same problem, and it is extremely frustrating. When I run lrnhelper (which itself is a bit flaky . . . it seems like I have to click through the zip file to run it. If I try to run an extracted version it creates a process but no UI), I can point the remote at my USB-UIRT, press buttons, the USB-UIRT flashes and lrnhelper says "Received UIR event code" and puts up some hex.

But when I actually say "Learn", nada. The USB-UIRT does not flash, nothing comes up at all, nothing happens.

Any ideas? I am on Win XP. I thought perhaps EventGhost, which I run on this system, was interfering, so I have exited it prior to trying this.
smr888

Postby smr888 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:39 pm

HELLO? . . . . . . Hello? . . . . . hello? . . . . h e l l o ?

Any suggestions on what the best way is to learn IR codes using USB-UIRT?
smr888

Postby jrhees » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:00 pm

When using LrnHelper (or any app that LEARNS codes using the USB-UIRT), you have to keep in mind that when the USB-UIRT switches to LEARN mode it also switches internally to a special short-range LEARN sensor. This sensor requires that you position your remote just a few inches away from the USB-UIRT, aim the remote directly into the face of the USB-UIRT at a spot just to the left of the red LED.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby smr888 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:47 pm

Indeed so! Thank you. Either I wasn't hitting the "learn" receptor (not realizing there was a separate one), or I wasn't holding the remote close enough, but it does work now. Thanks again.
smr888

Return to Troubleshooting