Can you use USB-UIRT to control Vista MC?

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Can you use USB-UIRT to control Vista MC?

Postby wayner » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:22 am

I have just installed Vista on one of my older PCs in a dual boot configuration. I have installed the Vista drivers for USB-URIT. Right now it doesn't seem that I can use a MCE remote to control Vista MC - should this work? Is there some special setup you need in MC or do you need to run other software like Girder?
wayner

Postby avidan » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:19 pm

i am having the same problem.
i have heard people referencing girder 5 working with vista MC, but i cant seem to figure out how.
i have my usb-uirt set up with girder, and the events are being picked up. i set up my harmony 880 as a new remote in girder, and mapped the main keys.
now the issue is how to get vista media center to acknowledge the commands....
is this a post that belongs on the girder forums?
i wouldnt want to cross post, but it does appear there are 2 very distinct communities.
avidan

Postby belzebutt » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:01 pm

You can do this very easily: just map the IR commands to keyboard presses.

- In you Harmony software, add your Media Center PC (any Media Center PC will do)
- Google for "Vista media center keyboard shortcuts", you can test them by using the keyboard of your PC (e.g. Win-Alt-Enter = Green button, if I remember correctly)
- Teach Girder each button: send the IR command, and assign it they keyboard command you want it to perform

So basically the remote becomes an extension of your keyboard.
belzebutt

Return to Troubleshooting