USB-UIRT randomly dies.

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT randomly dies.

Postby zackcorn » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:10 pm

Recently (within the past few weeks) my USB-UIRT has started exhibiting a random "death."

It started so every few days, EventGhost and SageTV would stop responding to USB-UIRT commands. I could unplug the unit and plug it back in, close EventGhost and SageTV, reopen them, and it all would work.

More recently, the time between forced hard resets as dropped to every few hours to keep the USB-UIRT working.

This happens on both of my computers, and with a Tivo Series 2 remote and a XBox 360 media remote.
zackcorn

Postby Tieske » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:19 pm

Seems I have a similar problem.

I use MCE with Girder in the background to automatically switch on/off the amplifiers based upon whether MCE is playing or not.

Once in a while USB-UIRT just dies. Restarting Girder gets the message that the plugin isn't working. In device manager disabling and reenabling USB-UIRT and then restarting Girder also has the same result. Only thing to fix it; physically disconnect and reconnect the device, then restarting Girder.

An interesting thing though; whenever this happens, my amplifiers are always switched off. I never loose control (I also control amplifier volume) while MCE is playing.
The way it works is that when MCE gets into Paused or Stopped state, a timer is set. Whenever MCE switched back to Playing the timer is cancelled. If the timer is not cancelled, but expires after 5 minutes, only then the poweroff sequence (this requires multiple girder actions and IR commands) is started.

Seems to me that USB-UIRT dies on a specific IR command, not always, but just sometimes. In my case one of the commands in the power-off sequence.

I have two amplifiers, which are both at once being switched off. For now, both of them are switched of when I run into trouble. I'll change the order to see whether the next time only one is switched of, then the first one would be the faulty one.

Probably doesn't help you, but looks like your solution will be mine and vice versa. If you have this problem only recently, have you changed anything in the IR codes or USB-UIRT settings?
Tieske

Postby zackcorn » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:56 pm

Mine does not die on a specific command, but just randomly.

After talking to support through email, we determined that taking off the external transmitters that I had connected. I still haven't found a way to have the transmitters and not have the random death problems.
zackcorn

Postby Tieske » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:24 am

Did taking off the external emitters resolve the issue? I also use 2 external emitters (but can't do without them)
Tieske

Postby zackcorn » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:24 pm

Yes, it has, However, it is just a temporary solution for me, as without my external transmitters, my volume control is iffy at best.
zackcorn

Postby Tieske » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:56 pm

what's Jon Rhees' stand on this? Is it a known bug, can he fix it? what was the support answer?
Tieske

Postby zackcorn » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:16 am

When contacting support and describing the issues, it seemed they knew it was a known issue, as it was the first sugguesstion. I have not received another email yet reguarding a permanant fix.
zackcorn

Postby mrceolla » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:37 am

I too am having random deaths with the UIRT. I use HomeSeer 2. I too have recently added external emitters to my setup via the jack on the UIRT. And I too can not do w/o that functionality. Well, I could but it would suck.

Sometimes HomeSeer throws some sort of overflow error.

9/12/2007 6:31:27 PM
Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
HomeSeer version: 2.2.0.11
Source: merged
Target: Void IREventCallback(System.Object, UsbUirt.ReceivedEventArgs)
Stack trace:
at HSPI_UIRT.HSPI.IREventCallback(Object Sender, ReceivedEventArgs e)
at UsbUirt.Controller.ReceiveCallbackProc(StringBuilder irEventString, IntPtr userState)

I imagine this error is HS specific. I've contacted them and they told me to post here. They also said they'll need the help of the author to resolve the issue. Jon?

BUT..HomeSeer doesn't always throw an error when the UIRT dies. Sometimes it just dies.

Either way though, the UIRT's receiver light still blinks when it receives IR. So it may be still receiving...it just stops sending.

I'm running Server 2003 BTW. And 2nd to latest version of HomeSeer.

Any input is appreciated. Jon?

Mike
mrceolla

Postby zackcorn » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:44 am

That is the exact same problem I have been having. I still have not received another email from Jon on a reason for this problem, or a fix that still allows me to keep my emitters on.
zackcorn

Postby Tieske » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:40 am

This is the reply I got from Jon when directly emailing support

Sent: Monday 8 October 2007 04:41
To: 'Thijs Schreijer'
Subject: RE: Support for external emitters

Thijs,

The external emitter issue has been seen by a few users, but I have not had luck duplicating it. We have some 'speculations' on what might cause this:

1. The 'load' of the emitters (unlikely). I.e., the emitters place an additional electrical load on the USB bus power supply. However, this could not explain why a unit would 'die' when there is no IR transmit activity taking place.

2. Ground loop issue (unlikely). This could only be an issue, however, if there is some sort of electrical connection from the emitter cable to some other piece of equipment. If the emitters are completely insulated, this could not happen.

3. Induced EMI (more likely). The idea here is that the emitter cable acts as a long 'antenna' for EMI. If the emitter cable runs by some piece of equipment which induces a large electrical field, the conducts back into the USB-UIRT and somehow causes the unit's USB connection to 'die'.

The first step to addressing the problem is understanding it. The hope is to somehow replicate the issue so that it can be understood.

-Jon

I have now rerouted my emitter cable (which were lying around the amplifiers) in another way. Only for 4 days now, but so far so good, I'm hoping this will solve my issue but need some more time to be convinced its been resolved.
[/quote]
Tieske

Postby yaccri » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:01 am

I raised this issue a LONG time ago and still got no solution.

I encountered this issue in several installations.

I found the following:
- Replacing the computer may help. Some computers are better at handling USB.
- Reducing the number of devices that are connected by USB may help.
- Increasing the delay between commands helps
- As a last resort, I use 'devcon' to automatically restart the device

Jon,
Please pay ,ore attention to this call. It is a VERY annoying issue!
yaccri

Postby zackcorn » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:58 pm

Jon and I have been sending emails back and forth, and what we have found so far roughly correlates to the information in this thread:

If you do have emitters connected with this problem, removing them will "fix" the problem (but in the process remove your emitters)

If you reroute your emitter cables away from and electromagnetic interferences (TV, Audio receiver, speaker amps, etc.), it helps resolve the problem, and removes the problem completely in some of the less sever cases.
In the more severe cases (Like mine, where my "deaths" are 1-3 hours apart normally), rerouting the wires increases the time between deaths (Mine up to 2 days) but does not completely fix the problem.

So it seems EMI is the cause of the problem, so cable length and distance from cables to electrical devices seems to effect the problem.

I'm still trying to find a way to filter the EMI out of the the emitter lines, to correct this problem permanantly, without having to reroute my cables around my room (Small dorm room, with large TV and Audio receiver right next to my HTPC).
zackcorn

Postby mrceolla » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:30 am

bumpity bump bump

Anyone find a reliable solution to this problem yet? I NEED my external emitters. Fortunately, my "deaths" are days or weeks apart, but it is still really frickin' anoying. I'd probably never have to touch my HS machine if it weren't for the UIRT dying every so often.

Also, sometime, but not everytime, HomeSeer throws an error message when the UIRT dies. Is this related to this same EMI issue or a separate driver issue?

Please...someone...

Mike
mrceolla

Postby zackcorn » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:59 am

Yes, the error homeseer throws (Or EventGhost, or Girder, depending on what is in use) is related to the EMI death (In my case, Eventghost throws an error when it attempts to transmit)

The problem seems to be bad circuit design with respect to EMI, so the options at the moment are:

Disconnect the transmitters (Bad solution but works invariably)

Use Ferrite beads on your emitter wires (It helps sometimes reduce EMI, and in weaker cases should solve the problem)

Create a EMI filter involving small capacitors. At the moment I havent done the equations for this, but a fairly small capacitor (50-100 uF)in parallel with the LED, as close to the USB-UIRT as possible should help, and possibly eliminate the problem

Shorten your LED wires.

Move your LED wires away from other equipment (Including Televisions, Surround receivers, Amplifiers, or any similar devices).

The Capacitor route is probably the best one, but I havent tested it to be able to tell you the correct value of capacitor to use
zackcorn

Postby TechBill » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:18 am

I see I am not the only one that urit dies on me randomly.

You can see in my post I was having the same issue but wasn't sure if it was SageTV or Uirt doing it. http://www.usbuirt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5696

Right now what so annoying is the prompt to install driver every time you unplug the URIT and plug it back in.

Did any of you have to reinstall driver?

Bill
TechBill

Next

Return to Troubleshooting