USB-UIRT keeps picking up a different code when..

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT keeps picking up a different code when..

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:11 am

...I press a button.

I have the Igor USB infrared receiver, working very nicely in Girder in Windows.

But I now need one that transmits as well as receives, so I've bought the USB-UIRT and it arrived yesterday.

My problem is as follows: when I press a button on a remote (tried various remotes) the code can change each time I press the same button. This does not happen with the Igor USB.

So for example, I press the same button on the remote and Girder picks up these:
1D002A455545
47C0405851BC
49508410068B
1300000A78F1
5B9BF51C47B1

and so on and so on. Which means there is no way in Girder to program infrared receive events.

Using Girder version 3.2.9 and the latest Windows XP driver for USB-UIRT and the latest plugin for Girder.

Is it possible I have a faulty unit or is there a way to fix this in software?

Thanks

Postby gduprey » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:47 pm

Sounds like a variation on what I'm having (in my case, it's pretty much just two different values that are reported and pressing the button multiple times toggles between them. Hopefully, there is a common solution.

Gerry
gduprey

Postby jrhees » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:46 pm

Guest,

Please see my email response.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby calpaugh » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:45 am

Hmmm.. I'm seeing a variation on this problem.

When I transmit a IR signal to the USB-UIRT via a Niles Intellipad
attached to a Niles IRZ6+ IR Router and an IR emitter attached
to the USB-UIRT, everything works as expected.

When I transmit the same IR code from the Marantz RC5000 remote
that I used to teach the IR command to the Intellipad:

RC5000 -> Xantech DinkyLink IR Receiver -> Niles IRZ6+ -> Niles
IR emitter -> USB-UIRT

This path does not work reliably.

There are several different IR commands received by Girder,
eventually one of them is the right one.

Sounds like a complex setup, but it allows me to control JRMC from
any room in the house via my existing IR system.

The Xantech DinkyLink works reliably with all of my other components
so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Ideas?
calpaugh

Postby jrhees » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:50 am

This is probably due to the fact that the IR extender setup you describe simply acts like an IR 'microphone' and 'speaker' and amplifies/transmits all IR picked up by the DinkyLink IR receiver (including IR noise). Because this means there is some IR noise and probably some AGC (automatic gain control) going on with the system, the resulting IR codes probably don't have a clean 'silence' before and after the codes. Since the USB-UIRT is a universal receiver (unlike your other equipment), it tries to decipher any IR received which looks like it could be a valid code, rather than simply filtering for a set of 'known' codes.

I would guess that if you watch the Girder status bar when you hold down a button on your Marantz remote that the first few codes are varied but then things 'settle down' to the same code getting repeated.

Have you tried increasing the distance between the Niles emitter and the USB-UIRT's receiver? Also, are you making sure the Marantz is not within sight of the USB-UIRT?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby kromkamp » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:30 pm

I'm getting the same problem where many IR codes toggle between two values.... what is the solution?
kromkamp

Further investigation

Postby Harald » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:30 pm

Hi,

sorry that I started a new thread - didn't know that this problem is so old and obviously not solved.

To investigate further, I exited Girder and watched if the sequence of the both values was conserved. That was the case.

BUT after rebooting I got the same value as off the last press. Further reboots showed that is was totally incidental if the sequence was conserved or not: This is clearly for me a hint of an uninitialized variable somewhere: this is my experience from ages of programming.

Peculiar that only some people complain. Does nobody use RC5 codes for triggering events?
-Harald
Harald

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:43 pm

I have this same issue on certain remotes. I wrote a MS C++ test app, and so far haven't had any problems at all getting things to work. For my television/home theater remotes, the codes it receives are consistent. I have another remote for a fan that I tried, and it alternates between perhaps 4 or 5 different codes for each button. Any idea what might be going on here?

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:46 pm

OK, I apparently wasn't logged in (new user). But the question remains.

Postby jrhees » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:32 pm

The fan remote likely does code or parity cycling.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting