Windows Vista MCE Doesn't Recognize my USB-UIRT

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Windows Vista MCE Doesn't Recognize my USB-UIRT

Postby Handsome Jimmy Valiant » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:21 pm

I bought Windows Vista Ultimate only to find that many of my components need new device drivers. I have a Hauppauge 150MCE and when I get to the point in Windows Media Center that searches for IR Devices, Vista says it can't find any and doesn't give me the option to skip the step.

Does anyone know how to get the IR Blaster to work in this new MCE?

Does anyone know where the config files for MCE are located so that I can circumvent this whole configuration process.

I own Beyond TV 4, but I want to try out Media Center, just for the shit of it.
Handsome Jimmy Valiant

Postby Ctrl-Z » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:14 am

I've just encountered the same problem. Vista installs the drivers for my USB-UIRT just fine and can detect a TV signal from my Satellite STB on channel 3 just fine but there seems to be no way to get past the detecting IR Hardware stage of Media Center TV Signal configuration; "Windows Media Center cannot detect your IR receiver"

Any solution to this other than getting an MCE remote with RF emitters?
Ctrl-Z

Postby Handsome Jimmy Valiant » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:20 am

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to HTPC. I've used Beyond TV with positive results long before I ever tried Windows Media Center. I also have a USB-UIRT.

Is there something I'm missing, here? Does Microsoft require people to buy THEIR IR emitter and remote? Does their greed know any bounds? Is there a workaround for this problem?
Handsome Jimmy Valiant

Im in the same boat

Postby nodoubter8 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Im also having trouble with having the Vista MCE recognize my USB-UIRT. Does anyone know of another IR blaster that would work with the vista MCE?

Right now I am using Beyond TV 4.6 on my Vista and it is working well. (I am able to use the USB-UIRT with it) I believe the 4.6 is an upgrade that BTV just came up with. As far as a remote I have been using the Firefly that was provided by BTV and that has been working wonderfully with Vista.
nodoubter8

Postby Handsome Jimmy Valiant » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:42 am

I said f*ck it and bought a Microsoft remote and IR receiver from Newegg.com. Now I can use MCE without any problems.

I must say shelling out another $38.00 is a small price to pay--especially when I can send my TV signal to all my other TVs with the MCE extender software that comes preinstalled in Xbox 360s!
Handsome Jimmy Valiant

Return to Troubleshooting