USB-UIRT goes to sleep on Linux box

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

What is causing my USB-UIRT to go to sleep

Dodgy motherboard
No votes
Dodgy USB-UIRT
No votes
Buggy lirc
No votes

Total votes : 0

USB-UIRT goes to sleep on Linux box

Postby darthfoolish » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:46 am

I'm running mythtv on a linux box with a USB-UIRT and lirc 0.7.1 with the USB-UIRT patch.

If the USB-UIRT doesn't recieve any input for a while, say in the range of hours, it goes to sleep.

By going to sleep, I mean when you press a remote button, the device doesn't flash. However, roughly 5 minutes after you press a remote button, the device will start flashing erratically for a minute or two.

After it has stopped flashing, the device miraculously starts working normally again.

Has anyone heard of this before?

My guesses are;

Dodgy motherboard. This is a motherboard I got from eBay, it was pulled from an Acer system. It has an issue where it loses its boot drive after a cold reboot, and you have to manually detect it. I wonder if there are other issues with this board?

Patched lirc. Who knows how buggy this could be?

Dodgy USB-UIRT. Don't think so. It didn't do this before when I had SageTV running. This isn't enough to make me want to switch from myth back to Sage, so don't suggest that. n.b. when I was running Sage, it was on a different motherboard.

Supposedly lirc 0.8.1 has native USB-UIRT support. I'm reluctant to try this because of the time it took me to get lirc working in the first place. If anyone strongly thinks that this is what is causing the problem, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for any responses. I think I'll add an "ask the audience"
darthfoolish

Postby jrhees » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:36 am

Very strange. The best suggestion I can give you to rule out software and/or the USB-UIRT hardware is to try running it on Windows with the LrnHelper app: www.usbuirt.com/lrnhelper_0_0_5.zip and let it run a while and see if you see the same phenomenon.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting