Anyone have RCA DTC100 working? Mits RPTV?

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Anyone have RCA DTC100 working? Mits RPTV?

Postby samgreco » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:00 pm

I have my USB-UIRT controlling everything except my DTC100 and my Mitsubishi 65807 TV.

I do have the 56k model. However, I am just using the built in emmitter to bounce off the back wall (about 14'). I had a problem with my VCR, but it had an emitter attached that came with the RCA, so I just plugged it into the USB-UIRT and it worked great. So I'm thinking that I have the same problem with the RCA and Mits. Can anyone confirm that the RCA works?

Also, does anyone know where the IR sensor is on that thing? And has anyone used an emmitter with the Mits RPTVs? Where did you put it?

Thanks,
Sam

PS. Jon - This thing is great. Very well built and it installed quickly and simply. One of the best new hardware experiences I've had in ages. Thanks.
samgreco

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:10 pm

Sam,

I can't speak for the DTC-100, but the Mits likely has the sensor inside the screen near the projection tubes. A lot of RPTV's do this (i.e., you point the remote at the screen and it bounces off of the TV's internal mirror).

If you're unsure of range you'll likely want to verify the codes work at a close range first.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 31, 2003 5:16 pm

Thanks Jon.

Sometimes the simplest answer are the hardest to think of. I guess I'll need to get a USB extension cable so I can place it in front of the TV and RCA :)

Sam

DTC-100

Postby PoolQ » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:05 am

working fine here,6-8 feet away from DTC-100 and mits TV, using pronto codes, no direct lighting and blinds closed.
PoolQ

Postby samgreco » Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:41 am

Thanks for the info. I replaced my codes with the Pronto codes this weekend and all is well with the DTC100 reflecting off the back wall.

The Mits needs a little help though. I bought a USB extension to move the USB-UIRT so that I could place it directly in front of the Mits for testing and it worked wonderfully. So I'll probably need to use an emitter.

It looks like I may need 3 or 4 emitters. Anyone know if/how I can do that? I'm concerned about power to the emitters.

Sam
samgreco

Postby jrhees » Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:36 pm

You should be able to use many emitters. If you're up to doing a little wiring yourself, the USB-UIRT actually has *two* emitter outputs via the 1/8" jack.

One output goes between the connector barrel and the tip. This is the output the commercial emitters are wired for.

A second output is between the connector barrel and the mid-ring (stereo connector). You'll either have to wire a stereo connector or get a stereo channel splitter adapter to take advantage of this.

Since stick-on emitters are usually used at very close range to the equipment they are controlling, they often don't need much current.

You can easily wire several emitters in parallel with small resistors on each emitter:

JACK+
|
| 10 ohm
|----/\/\/\------emitter 1+
|
|
|----/\/\/\------emitter 2+
|
|
|----/\/\/\------emitter 3+
|
|
|----/\/\/\------emitter 4+

Wire JACK- to all emiiters' gnd.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby samgreco » Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:45 am

Thanks Jon! Just what I needed.

Wiring is not a problem. I hand soldered a few hundred connections in my recording studio. Man did my hands hurt. :)

Sam
samgreco

Return to Troubleshooting