Help! infared not connecting to cable box

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Help! infared not connecting to cable box

Postby Mary Jo » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:01 pm

I am new to all of this, and I need help! I have computer in a room next to living room where my TV is and I have a cable box on the TV. I have a usb-uirt ir blaster and I have a firefly remote for the PC. I am wanting to watch movies that I download from the internet and also home movies and pictures. The signal isn't strong enough I guess?????? What can I do?
Mary Jo

Postby jrhees » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:42 am

mary Jo,

I assume you are trying to use the USB-UIRT to switch channels on your cable box, correct? If so, what software are you using (Girder, Sage TV, Snapstream, etc) to run the USB-UIRT?

The USB-UIRT emits Infrared signals, which, similar to your other Infrared remote controls, cannot travel through walls.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Mary Jo » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:24 am

Thanks for responding! The USB program I am using is girder. I also signed up for Beyond TV and Beyond Media with Snapstream with the Firefly remote. I have Windows Media 10 all on a Dell desktop PC. Wanting to download movies and be able to watch them on the TV in the room next door. There is a door from where my PC is to where the TV is though. Am I supposed to have something hooked up to the cable box on the TV to recieve other than the cable box itself? I have a Firefly infared PC Remote also. I tried holding the USB and point towards the TV, but it didn't do anything! Thanks again for your help! [color=blue][/color]
Mary Jo

Postby jrhees » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:05 pm

Mary Jo,

I think you might be misubderstanding what the USB-UIRT does. The USB-UIRT is a device which mimics your standard remote control. It can be used to *change channels* on your cable box, or turn your TV on and off, etc. It *does not*, however, have the ability to send video or audio to your TV or cable box. You will need to have a TV out connectiuon on your PC and connect this to your TV or VCR to get video from your PC to your TV. Does this make sense?

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Mary Jo » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:04 pm

Yes, it does make sense. I knew that it took the place of the regular remote and changed the channel and volume, but I also thought you could somehow send movies and music to the TV! So how can I do that without all the wires, cables ect.....? Thanks!!!
Mary Jo

Return to Troubleshooting