all buttons except up, down, lef, rigtht work

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

all buttons except up, down, lef, rigtht work

Postby meph » Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:03 am

Thanx for a cool product. I have one issue though.

I have a remote that comes with ASUS TV FM card
i have GIRDER latest. all your new drivers.

All buttons except the one mentioned above have only one code sned to girder.

UP,DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT cycle through 6 or more codes. even if i think I put them all into girder, sometimes I have to press several times for the comand to work.

When I use the remote with the IR-usb that came packaged with it, I notice that theese buttons when hold, can make me scroll down or up a page as long as I hold them down. Its like they repeat some commands.

Can my USB UIRT perfom this way? I notice that the led just blinks ONE time even if I hold the button (eg. UP). The standard USB IR, flashes repeatedly doing this.

AND can Girder really repeat my key held down and send it to JRMC?

I am not using USB UIRT to transmit anything. (yet) :-)

Is there some sniffer prog that can analyze all the codes my UP, DOWN, keys send, or is it maybe a random series of number??

Best Regards Meph
meph

Postby jrhees » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:43 pm

Meph,

That's a difficult one -- there's a good chance that those buttons actually generate a 'cycle' of codes so the their matched USB receiver can detect how long they've been held even if the IR signal received is intermittent (mice use a method like this to number 'clicks' of the mouse-wheel rotation). The challenge would be getting all of the cycled codes into Girder and then creating a script to deal with them.

A couple of questions:

1. Try hitting the 'Up' button several times and looking at the code in Girder (as you have been doing) on Girder's bottom status bar. Does the code continue to change from button-press to button-press if you try to hit the 'Up' button *VERY SHORT* (the quickest tap you can achieve)?

2. As in #1 above, does the code change if you 'HOLD' the 'Up' button each time until a code appears in Girder?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby meph » Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:08 am

Hi
1. well if I tap it quickly some other codes show up.
2. if I press gently and hold it the codes seem moore stable but still changes iradictly. Some time the same number shows up seven times or so in a row but then change.
very strange behavior to send Ir codes. :-)
Not like rc5 that alternates.

What to do? should i try to write down all different codes. its a dauting task to enter i GIRDLE. :)
meph

Postby jrhees » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:46 pm

To get a better idea of what may be going on (although I don't know if it will solve anything), perform an IR debug on one of your arrow buttons. To do this, go into the USB-UIRT's plugin screen and hit the IR debug button and then aim the remote as if to learn a code (approx 3 inches) and press and hold the arrow button. When complete, you will be presented with a screenful of hex data. Copy and paste all of this data into your reply.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting