Testing for functionality

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Testing for functionality

Postby KShots » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:10 pm

I purchased my USB-UIRT a few weeks ago, and I'd like to test my device for functionality before the 90 days support runs out.

I do not run Windows, so I cannot use Girder nor any of the other windows programs. I bought this device for the reported functionality under linux.

I will be satisfied that the device itself works (whether or not the linux applications use it correctly), as at the moment I'm just worried about working with bad hardware. How can I test this?

I've enabled USB Serial converter support in my kernel, as well as the FTDI Single Port Serial Driver. When I plug my device in, I get the following message:
Code: Select all
Oct 29 00:38:24 basilisk usb 2-5.1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 22
Oct 29 00:38:24 basilisk usb 2-5.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Oct 29 00:38:24 basilisk ftdi_sio 2-5.1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
Oct 29 00:38:24 basilisk drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: Detected FT232BM
Oct 29 00:38:24 basilisk usb 2-5.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
... but it mentions nothing about a USB UIRT device. I have managed to successfully compile lirc 0.7.1 with the usb-uirt patches, but given 5 different remotes, it does not seem to see any of them.

At this point, I want to know if there's a way to determine if I have a bad device or if I'm seeing an improper configuration.
The Great Pop-Tart GAWD of Mt. Kellogs
KShots

Postby aedif1 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:28 pm

Actually, "USB-UIRT" won't show up in the dmesg output, but what you have posted looks correct. To find the actual device, look under /sys/bus/usb/devices. One of those folders will have a "product" file and it should have USB-UIRT printed there. On my sytem it is folder 2-2 and I'm running Ubuntu 6.06
aedif1

Postby KShots » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:39 pm

Ok, that makes me feel a lot better. /sys/bus/usb/devices/2-5.1/product shows USB_UIRT.

I'm going to guess that the patches for lirc-0.7.1 don't work (from the 5-remote test) and proceed from there (either patch the patch or patch lircd itself). Thanks!
The Great Pop-Tart GAWD of Mt. Kellogs
KShots

Return to Troubleshooting