Sending IR Commands

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Sending IR Commands

Postby BeRnA » Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:12 am

I have made 10 girder actions where each of them send one channel number to my Sony VCR...

My problem is: If I send channel_1 and channel_2 my VCR change to channel 12, but when I send the same channel, like channel_1 and channel_1 he does not change to channel 11... He only receive the first ir code, but the usbuirt is sending that action two times...

In conclusion... my VCR only change when the two channel numbers are not the same...

How do I resolve this problem?
Thanks.
BeRnA

Postby jrhees » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:47 am

BeRnA,

There are two possibilities here...

1) Your VCR remote sends out an 'alternating' code, which switches between two different codes on each successive button press.

2) Your VCR is ignoring the second '1' because it is received close enough (in time) from the first code that it thinks it might represent the same button press.

Here's an easy way to tell which:

Go to the code in Girder which transmits the '1' and press the 'Test Command' button to send the '1' to your VCR (this assumes you are *not* using an IR keyboard). Then wait a few seconds and press the 'Test Command' button again.

If your VCR sees two '1's with a couple seconds between each 'Test Command' press, then this is a timing issue. Otherwise, your remote is likely alternating between two codes.

Depending on the issue (1) or (2), there are different workarounds. In the case of timing, simply putting in a delay should do the trick.

In the case of alternating codes, since the Girder plugin is not (currently) capable of alternating codes, the easiest workaround for this is to put another VCR button code between the two '1's so that the VCR sees '1', other-code, '1', in that order. The trick is to find a VCR remote button which the VCR doesn't act upon during channel input.

Let me know what you find...

-Jon

P.S. I'd be very surprised if this is an alternating code issue, since Sony protocol typically doesn't use this.
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting