USB-UIRT working, but not with applications

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT working, but not with applications

Postby digi » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:32 pm

Hi,

I installed my usb-uirt today along with the latest version of girder (4, but trial version).

I followed the user guide for everthing that comes next.

I could configure my remote control(s) without any problem.
But when I intend to use it, nothing happens...almost: the Windows applications like "master mute", "master volume up/down" work.

But for example, I wanted to use the arrows under internet explorer (arrow up and arrow down should scroll the page up or down). When I do that nothing happens. I tried to use the same arrows (from the remote control) but assigned to the mouse directions, and it works perfectly.

I also tried to use the remote control with windows media player, and none of the play/stop/pause... buttons work.

I feel like girder doesn't want to control my applications. Could it come from the fact that I use the trial version or did I forget to do something?

thank you for your help.
digi

Postby jrhees » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:51 pm

Girder is kind of like a 'swiss-army-knife' application. It can do just about anything, but it requires you to program it. For example, you can have Girder receive IR codes from your remote, but if you want the 'Up Arrow' on your remote to cause an 'Up Arrow' action on your PC, you must do several things in Girder:

1. Create a new Girder command
2. Configure the Action of that command to 'Send a Keypress'
3. Configure the keypress to be an 'Up Arrow'
4. Configure what application to send the keypress to.
5. Learn an event to trigger the new command, using your remote control to associate the event with the up arrow on your remote.

You would need to do this with all buttons you want to use.

This is likely not what you expected, since you are expecting an application that simply routes buttons on your remote to keypresses or actions on the PC. You may want to check out an app like HIP for this.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting