Motorola DCT6200 channel change causes strange behavior

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Motorola DCT6200 channel change causes strange behavior

Postby AudioMstr » Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:33 pm

When upgrading to a faster Intel processor I now am having a problem with setting the channel on my Motorola DCT6200 HDTV set top box from Snapstream for Comcast cable. The problem is that the cable box is being put into a mode where the channel can not be changed, not only by the USB UIRT but even by the remote control that comes with the set top box. I have swapped the box with Comcast with the same problem exists.

I have changed the UIRT settings to send only 3 digits and no "enter" with 200 millisecond pause and repeating of 7 and it will work better. Any other settings, especially ones with less repeats or slower pause cause the box to go into the weeds. When I watch the channel being sent, immediatly as the 3rd digit is transmitted the set top goes back to the original channel. I can only get the channel to change again by manualling using the front panel up or down button or powring off the box, at which point the channel change starts working again. Further, when the box goes into the strange mode it actully received the channel number from the USB UIRT, but just does not tune to that channel. I know this because when I push the channel up button on the front panel it does not go to the current tuned channel +1, but the channel sent that cause the problem +1. So the box is definately going into the weeds so to speak.

It seems to be worst with channels like 554, 559 and channels with duplicated digits in it.

I also note that if I remove the power from the set top then the channel change works bery well only until Comcast has downloaded new firmware program. Then this problem starts again. I can put the box into the weeds very quickly by using 50-70 millisecond pause. In this case the problem does not happen until the new comcast firmware is loaded. Thus I am thinking that the firmware has a bug and something in the timing now with the faster CPU or just something in the USB UIRT is hitting this bug in their firmware.
AudioMstr

Postby jrhees » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:32 pm

Even a 200mS pause is still much faster than a 'human' can move through the buttons. You may have to try much higher delays, such as 500+ mS and see what effect it has.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting