Different codes, overlapping codes

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Different codes, overlapping codes

Postby thaimin » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:23 am

I just got the USB-UIRT, got it installed, and started trying to teach SageTV the different commands from my CyberLink remote whose reciever I was replacing.

I started simply with the numbers 0-9, but 0 and 9, 3 and 4, and 7 and 8 had the same value! This couldn't be cause the old reciever was able to distignguish between these.

I tried other values and Mute and Guide had the same value, and as I continued, a bunch of the buttons had the same as Guide. I went into the unlink part of SageTV to remove the Guide binding, and saw that as I pressed the Guide button the numbers changed 3 times in rapid succession until they settled on one value. Then if I moved the remote around while still pressing the button, the values would keep changing!

I tested other buttons. Some buttons were very stable (did not go through a bunch of numbers before staying in one place and didnt change as you moved) and some were worse (almost never really staying put on a number).

Is this a common problem? Do other remotes have this problem? How was the original USB Cyberlink reciever able to pick up buttons accurately?

(BTW, I replaced the original reciever for 2 reasons: it was made just so that all the non-basic buttons did nothing except in the CyberLink software. Also, I plugged it into a USB port which was wired backwords to the motherboard and fried it).
thaimin

Postby jrhees » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:02 pm

Please download and run the lrnHelper app (which is easier to see codes than having to be in Sage) -- the codes will appear in the upper-right corner.

www.usbuirt.com/lrnhelper_0_0_2.zip

Two possibilities here:

1. The remote uses a proprietary protocol which is not compatible with standard consumer IR protocols

2. You are holding the remote too close or the batteries are dead. Try holding the remote > 1 foot away and see if the codes are stable.

Also, you can grab another remote (TV/VCR, etc.) and see if it produces stable codes.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting