USB-UIRT preventing standby

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT preventing standby

Postby rolfl » Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:52 pm

I installed the driver from the website and girder on a Soyo DragonUltra MB.
I can learn and send IR codes.

However, when I try to enter standby I get a message that the USB-UIRT driver is preventing windows from entering standby.

I then installed the just the driver on a SuperMicro PIIISCD MB.
Same problem, not allowed to enter standby.

Both computers are running XP Home.

Rolf
rolfl

Postby jrhees » Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:23 am

Rolf,

Check your email...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby rolfl » Mon Mar 31, 2003 1:52 pm

jrhees wrote:Rolf,

Check your email...

-Jon

Jon,
I installed 1.05.05, it is still giving me the same "can't go to standby because of usbuirt driver" message.
I double checked in device manger and it list 1.05.05 as the driver version.

Any more ideas?

Rolf
rolfl

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:08 pm

Well, first things first I guess.

The 'test' driver I sent you has changes to address allowing a computer to go into 'Hibernate' mode. This is because today's computers cannot support USB-wake from hibernate.

The fact that you're seeing issues when trying to go into Standby would indicate that your OS/Motherboard is telling the USB-UIRT driver that it *cannot* support resume-from-STANDBY when you are requesting to put your computer into Standby mode.

Now I am assuming you want to take advantage of the wake-from-standby feature of the USB-UIRT...

I don't know the details of your motherboards, but *if* your motherboards can indeed support wake-from-STANDBY it sometimes needs to be enabled in the computer's BIOS. You may want to start by looking there.

Just to recap what's happening:
1. You ask your computer to go to Standby (i.e., Start->Shutdown->Suspend).
2. The OS asks the motherboard/Bios if USB devices will still be powered during Standby.
3. The OS informs all drivers in the system it is about to enter Standby, and lets each driver know whether or not their resource will be powered during Standby (in your case, the OS is telling the USB-UIRT driver it will not be powered during Standby).
4. Each driver has the option to 'veto' the OS-Standby process. In your case, the USB-UIRT driver is veto-ing the request because it will not be able to wake the computer if it needs to.

Now, if you're not interested in using the wake-from-standby feature and just want to get your PC to suspend, let me know and I can give you a workaround.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby rolfl » Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:33 pm

Jon,

Thanks for the explanation.

I want to have USB wakup from standby so it looks like I have to get a new MB that supplies USB power in standby and has a BIOS that informs the OS.
Do you know of any MBs that works well with USB power-up from standby?

Until I get a new MB would you mind giving me the work around?

Thanks,
Rolf
rolfl

Postby msm » Sun Oct 12, 2003 6:20 pm

I know this is an old thread by i am now attempting to put my computer into standby and I have the same problem. Even, if in my BIos, i disable the "wake on USB" option it won't allow standby mode to be entered (i have latest drivers). I do not wish to wake using USB from stanby, so if you have a workaround that would be great,

Matt
msm

Postby jrhees » Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:42 am

msm,

The current version of the Girder plugin allows you to disable Wake on the USB-UIRT. To do this, go into the plugin (as if you were going to learn a code, etc). and press the 'Configuration' button. Then go to the Wake-Up tab and use the checkbox at the bottom to disable wake-up.

If you still have questions, let me know.

Best Regards,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:36 am

based on all the work Jon has done on the suspend / resume, I am puzzled why I am having this problem. I do have a motherboard that supports wake on USB, and have enabled it in the jumpers .. the board is an Asus K8V Deluxe.

I am running v 2.59 of the plugin and 1.2 of the drivers ... Windows XP Pro.

Any other ideas / help?

Postby jrhees » Tue Mar 02, 2004 7:00 am

Guest,

Can you be specific about the error message you're seeing?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:41 am

My Motherboard is supposed to support Wake on USB, but it doesn't (It is a DFI Lanparty Ultra II B).

I have tried with the box checked in teh Girder settings, and with it not checked. Fails either way.

Here is a graphic of the error:

Postby jrhees » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:39 pm

Could you try these drivers?

Download http://www.usbuirt.com/USBUIRT%20Drivers%20v1_3.zip and unzip to a folder.

Then, copy the FTD2XX.sys file overtop the one in your Windows\System32\drivers folder, and copy the FTD2XX.dll file overtop the one in your Windows\System32 folder. Then restart you PC.

Let me know,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby ewingr » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:25 pm

Well, it won't just let me copy them in there. I'm sure the drivers are loaded. Should I just update the drivers for the USB-Uirt device under device manager? Or can I 'disable' the device in Device Manger, reboot, then copy them over?

BTW...that shows the driver version as 1.5.5.0; the 1.2 INF file says it is 1.05.5, as does teh 1.3 file. I wonder how a person is supposed to know what version they really have with the inconsistent info in the files? Oh well, another topic.
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby ewingr » Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:29 am

I decided I wanted to get this done...so...

Installing the drivers via Update Driver in the De :( ce Manger did not upgrade the drivers (I supposed that' why I was told to copy the files).

So, I disabled the USB-UIRT, rebooted, copied the files, enabled the USB-UIRT, and rebooted.

It now WILL go into standby.

If only my Wake on USB worked :(
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Return to Troubleshooting