feedback hum in usb port with usb-uirt?

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

feedback hum in usb port with usb-uirt?

Postby Arcanum » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:30 am

Hi:

I just installed the usb-uirt and everything went well. I installed the drivers and the lot and all was fine. I then went into Meedio config and tried to set up Meedio to accept commands with my remote control. Once initiated, I could hear a feedback "hum" from my comp. It is coming from the usb port on the back. I changed the position of the usb-uirt but the same thing happens. It only happens with the uirt and stops if it's removed.

I have to mention also that when pressing a button to input in Meedio, I would get multiple numbers at first, then when I would hit up - for example - I would get codes for up and down at the same time. Then, after changing usb ports to try and fix the hum, when I input a number it would be the same number for each key pressed and the previously saved entry would disappear - as it was the same number overagain.

Is this a problem with my new usb-uirt? Is it defective? The hum is so annoying that it isn't useable and the lack of ability to program Meedio commands makes me have to rethink its use.

Please help.
Tahnks,
Jeff
Arcanum

Postby jrhees » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:23 pm

Arcanum,

The only way the USB-UIRT could be causing 'hum' is a) You have connected a grounded external emitter to the USB-UIRT's emitter jack and have created a 'ground loop', or b) The power supply to your USB's port is very weak.

You can try using an external powered USB hub (set to externally powered mode) which would give the USB-UIRT an outside power supply.

As far as the meedio issue, you may want to try using a different code-set with your remote control -- it sounds like you're using an RC-5 based codeset which toggles between multiple codes for each button.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:47 am

Hi:

Thanks for the info. I haven't connected anything to it so that rules out A. My motherboard is an Asus K8N-E Deluxe. It may be that but I would think that a new board would have adequate power. If I use a pci card that has 4 extra usb ports on it, will that help to alleviate any low power issues? I figure the card would draw power from the pci slot but I don't want to rip it out of my girlfriend's computer to check unless you think it will helpl

I have a Harmony 659 remote so I can program in any device that is in their database. Any suggestions as to which one I should try? I put in a Pioneer DVD recorder the first time I tried it.

Thanks for the great help,
Jeff :D

Postby jrhees » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:39 pm

Regarding the power issues -- its hard to say, but it sounds like there's 'ripple' leaking into the sound card's audio output.

For remote codes, I would attempt using a Sony codeset (they're fast and common).

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting