ir dimmer probs

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

ir dimmer probs

Postby Paulb » Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:23 pm

I have a HPM infra red lighting dimmer with a single button for on/off/dim.
Press for on and for off, hold down for dim.
Im trying to train it using CQC but cant get it to work, any ideas?
Paulb

Postby jrhees » Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:50 pm

You may want to get this working first with Girder or the LrnHelper test app, which gives you more control over parameters, etc.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:52 pm

Hey has it working in general. There is just something strange about this particular IR command. Maybe it's some kind of two parter or something of that nature. But it doesn't seem to get correctly learned in.

Postby Dean Roddey » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:49 am

I just wanted to come back to this, in terms of a general question. How do you deal with such a beast with the UIRT? It seems to send one message first I guess, and then keeps sending another one as long as you are holding the button down. So you can't really deal with it as a repeat count, but in a networked automation system like CQC, just setting the UIRT to blast indefinitely until some user action stops it seems kind of dangerous since the connection can always get lost between starting something and coming back to stop it. I guess you could just set a very large repeat count and let it go and then come back and interrupt it when they release the button (whereever that might be in a system like CQC.)

But in general, what's the blessed way to deal with this kind of thing with the UIRT?
Dean Roddey

Postby Frank Mc Alinden » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:41 am

Hi Dean / Paul
What you describe sounds like the remote is using NEC Format which sends out the data when first pressed and then a repeat code if held pressed....Im not sure if the usb uirt could learn the repeat code , i have the same issue with my Homevision unit so i have to press the remote several times to get the same result of holding the button on the original remote...

Frank
Frank Mc Alinden

Postby eatmorepossum » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:23 pm

I took a whole weekend to figure this out for myself. Although you'd never know it by the solution. My lights are by commercial electric or somthing. I bought them at home depot.

I use girder but i guess the theory applies to other automation software as well.

Here is how i solved the problem.

3 commands per light switch

Command 1.) a simple on off command with a 3 second repeat value

Command 2.) 3 command multi group
- Long press (repeat 12)
- 500ms pause
- Short press (repeat 5)

Command 3.) 3 command multi group
- Short press (repeat 5)
- 500ms pause
- Long press (repeate 12)

Macro
-Command 3 State Count 6 Begin State 1
-Command 3 State Count 6 Begin State 2
-Command 3 State Count 6 Begin State 3
-Command 1 State Count 6 Begin State 4
-Command 1 State Count 6 Begin State 5
-Command 1 State Count 6 Begin State 6

As long as i use the button press to turn the lights on before using the macro this works fine. If i use this macro to turn the lights on i get 3 useless button presses. This could be fixed by changing my macro state count to 1 when the on/off button is pressed and 3 when it is not or somting similar but i havent figured out how to do that yet.

Let me know what you think. It seems very basic but it solved my problem after hours of diddling with it.
eatmorepossum

Return to Troubleshooting