Can get it to work with GB-PVR, not with SageTV! ARGH!!!

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Can get it to work with GB-PVR, not with SageTV! ARGH!!!

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:17 pm

I have been able to successfully get the USB-UIRT to work with GB-PVR to send commands to my Dish 301 receiver. Works fine.

Try to train it in SageTV so I can use Sage and have had ZERO luck. Can't get it to do anything with the Dish.

Any ideas???

--Mike

Postby jrhees » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:41 pm

Mike,

Can you be more specific on what is happening/not happening in Sage?

Thanks,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:03 pm

Ok, well, let's see...

I go through the training process in Sage, no problems that I can tell there. I then go and tell Sage to watch Live TV. Fine... I use my Hauppauge remote (sending to it's receiver) to put in a channel (say 300, which is HBO on Dish Network.) Sage changes it's banner to show Channel 300, but the Dish receiver usually will just show something like "0" or "00" and then it drops back to channel "2".

When I do these same exact actions using GB-PVR, everything works wonderfully. Unfortunately, I find GB-PVR lacking in terms of watching live TV.

I'm running Sage version 2.0.20(?)

I've tried messing with the retry count in the IR file, the delays, the channel change delay, etc. No luck at all.

The other wierd thing is, if I compare the .IR file that Sage makes with the one that GB-PVR makes, the codes look different for the number keys. I tried copy/pasting the ones out of the GB-PVR generated file into the one for Sage, but no dice.

HELP!

--Mike

Postby jrhees » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:16 pm

Codes can naturally 'vary' a bit, since they are timing values.

Please try overriding the 'repeat Count' by doing the following:

Edit your IR file with a text editor (close Sage first) and add the following as the SECOND line of the file (after the line with the filename but before the first line with a digit code):

RepeatCount 5

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:03 pm

Added the RepeatCount 5, also tweaked the timings and changed the setting for number of digits per channel from 4 to 3 (which is wierd because there ARE 4 digit channels, but I'll live) and everything seems to be working now.

Thanks a ton!

Now, another question:

What do I do with the little port on the back? It's the external emitter or something like that? Is there a wiring diagram that would show me how to do something with this?

And is there any suggested way of building a little hood to reflect the IR signals from the USB UIRT to bounce back to the dish receiver?

Thanks for the help. Nice to finally have this thing working!

--Mike

Postby jrhees » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:56 pm

First of all, you can experiment with lowering this repeatCount if you like. Once you go too low you'll start seeing problems creep up, however a lower value will speed up tuning somewhat.

The jack on the back is for use with standard Xantech-style stick-on emitters. You don't need to use it if the built in blasters are otherwise working OK for you. Also, you may find that the walls in the room reflect plenty well...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting