Keep Recieveing Different Codes

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Keep Recieveing Different Codes

Postby fnkpet » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:46 am

Please help if you can.

I have the usb-uirt - non 56 version.

I have an ADA Audio Devicve that stores IR codes which I have 'taught' to send IR's , via a flasher, when keypads are pressed in the house.

Using my new usbuirt to 'catch' them off the flasher I am getting varying results. In the Girder box that shows the command just taught - It is a red box about halfway down the right side, I press a key on one of my keypads and I catch a code. OK fine, give it a command. Press that key on the keypad again and I am more likely than not to catch a different IR code. It has made me make about 10 variations to try to account for each possible catch.

I have about 15 different IR's stored that come from the flasher and they ALL are inclined to be caught with variation, although some seem more stable tan others.

Here is a subset of the variations that girder (via the usbuirt) sees when I press the same key on my keypad then out through the ir flasher.

4D0139013FD0
51D0935254BE
4F404E40CFBC
4D0139013F50

Dont know what the box is on the bottom of girder in the middle - directly to the LEFT of the indicator light on the bottom right. But it ALWAYS shows the same thing when it catches a keypad press(depending on which key is pressed on the keypad - i.e. a 1 to 1 relationship - one key pressed always get the same one code shown). For the key pressed above that generated the various stuff in the red box the bottom middle box in girder always shows............

434B540454F5

Any Ideas?

Thanks
fnkpet

Postby jrhees » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:40 am

It is possible the IR protocol used (depends on the brand of equipment you're trying to control) has some variable-length IR data at the beginning shich causes the initial code event received to vary. What this would cause is that the initial code received into Girder might be somewhat variable, but then afterward Girder would see a 'consistent' code.

The 'Learn' button on Girder's main screen 'catches' the first IR event it gets. However, the status bar at the bottom of the Girder screen will display all events received (whether or not you're doing a 'learn' procedure).

So, watching the status bar closely might reveal this behavior a bit more (you'll have to look close, since a code may flash for a very brief time).

If you *are* getting consistent codes like you said, you may have to manually edit your .GML file and enter these codes in. That way Girder simply ignores the 'random' events.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby fnkpet » Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:38 pm

Jon - Thank you.

I think you are correct in that it is variable.

When I watch the status bar it goes.....Flash...Flash....Flash (too quick to see the interim reciepts). then ends with that 'constant' code.

So I believe what I need to do is Edit the GML and put that constant code in.

Girder does not seem to let me enter it (type) into the red 'learn' box. Do you know How I would enter it as en event to react to?

Thanks again.

Frank
fnkpet

Postby jrhees » Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:48 pm

I don't know of a way to do it inside Girder, so I have edited the .GML directly. Just learn as normal a (random) code and then close Girder (completely) and edit the .GML with a text editor and replace the code in the GML with the correct code.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:40 pm

Got it - didn't know it was text editable. I'll try when I get home tonight.

Thank you

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:21 am

That did the trick. VERY good.

For anyone picking this up on a search......

I am using an ADA system (among other things like ELO Touchscreens and Main Lobby suite)

ANyway, was trying to program the ADA keypads - 4500 keypads. They connect to a wiring harness via cat 5, which then interfaces with another ADA piece, basically an IR transmitter - called an IRL 5000.

You program (teach) the IRL 5000 to transmit IR's when a certain discrete key is pressed on the keypad.

Note #1 - there is a dial on the IRL 5000 to moderate (a little) the send frequencey. I had to move it a bit lower then what was supposed to be 40Freq in order for my usbuirt to pick it up.

Note #2 - per this post. The IRL 5000 must transmit a bunch of junk before it gets to the actual IR code. In order for Girder to pick it up via the USBUIRT you must manually enter the IR code by editing the GML in text. Best way to do this as Jon suggests is to start a fresh GML, teach girder any old IR on an event string, then open that up in text and change it. Then keep changing it and importing it into girder.

What a PITA, spent about 20 hrs this weekend trying to get it (oh an my installer got sawdust in front of the IR reciept eye - behind the glass) so at first the IRL 5000 was not learning codes. That was fun to figure out.

And so it goes..... Thanks Jon

Return to Troubleshooting