Can't get RCA sat receiver to work

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Can't get RCA sat receiver to work

Postby hobie_od » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:42 am

:? :? :? :?

The receiver doesn't recognize the remote.

TIA,
Jim
hobie_od

Postby jrhees » Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:21 am

hobie_od,

Can you be a bit more detailed???

Thanks,

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:41 pm

Sorry.

I was so disappointed because I was on my last bit of setup when I discovered the problem, that I lost my head.

The USBIRT does not recognize the remote that controls my DirecTV receiver. I am trying to get it to learn the commands from the RCA receiver so that I can create a macro to turn everything on with a single button.

TIA
Jim

Postby jrhees » Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:16 pm

Jim,

a few questions--

1. What model USB-UIRT do you have?
2. Does the red LED on the USB-UIRT blink when you press remote buttons on your Remote Control?
3. Does Girder see any events when you press the buttons on the remote (hex numbers appear in the bottom status bar of Girder)?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 13, 2003 1:28 am

I just have the standard USB-IRT.

When I push the buttons for the sat receiver the led does not flash. It does flash and work with my other equipment.

There is no activity in Girder. I am looking under the part of the program that learns commands to transmit.

Jim

Postby jrhees » Thu Mar 13, 2003 2:31 pm

Jim,

I have possible bad news for you. It appears the remote in question uses 56KHz modulation. Because of this, the USB-UIRT you have (38KHz) version cannot see the remote.

If you need to be able to have the UIRT see your remote for *more* than just learning, you really need a 56KHz version. IF, however, you only want to learn the DirecTV remote and otherwise don't need this remote to generate Girder commands, you may be able to find the remote codes somewhere like RemoteCentral.com or possibly from someone on this or other AVS forums. Both the 38 and 56 version of the USB-UIRT can *transmit* at 56KHz but only the 56KHz-USB-UIRT can 'see' 56KHz remotes.

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

This should work now with the latest firmware

Postby burkheart » Sun May 04, 2003 5:29 pm

I had the same problem with my RCA Receiver. After I installed the latest firmware v1.2 it started working. The (standard) USB-UIRT now seems to be able to learn 56kHz codes.
Thomas
burkheart

Postby Guest » Mon May 05, 2003 12:22 am

Actually my serial UIRT2 can detect and generate codes for my 56Khz Echostar remote. I would suspect it is seeing just different bits of IR at a high enough signal strength that keeps a consistent code and the USB-UIRT is doing the same. Puzzled me for a long time why my UIRT2 couldnt transmit what it could see, till I learned my echostar used 56Khz.

Postby jrhees » Mon May 05, 2003 3:49 am

Anonymous wrote:Actually my serial UIRT2 can detect and generate codes for my 56Khz Echostar remote. I would suspect it is seeing just different bits of IR at a high enough signal strength that keeps a consistent code and the USB-UIRT is doing the same. Puzzled me for a long time why my UIRT2 couldnt transmit what it could see, till I learned my echostar used 56Khz.

Actually that is not the case for the USB-UIRT. The long-range IR receivers on the USB-UIRT have a high rejection ratio for off-frequencies. This gives the receiver better range, but sacrifices the ability to see 56KHz *at all*. That is why there is a 56KHz add-on. The reason the new firmware is able to LEARN a 56KHz remote (even on a non-56KHz version) is that it uses a *short-range* wideband IR detector for learning now. This requires the user to place their remote within inches of the USB-UIRT while learning but has the added benefits of very precise measurements, frequency detection, and wide frequency ranges.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting