having trouble getting started

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

having trouble getting started

Postby mmatz » Tue May 25, 2004 2:21 pm

Hello,

Today I recieved the USB-UIRT and downloaded girder and the plugin. I would like to program girder to control my Scientific Atlanta 3200 cable box. Could anyone help me get started and tell me the steps to prgram girder so I can use my keybord to tune channels up and down or to power the box on/off?

Also, when I press a button on my remote, the red light on the usb-uirt lights up, but nothing appears in girder while 'waiting' after I click learn. I'm very new to this and any help would be appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Mike
mmatz

Postby mmatz » Tue May 25, 2004 3:46 pm

I have figured out how to get girnder to learn from my remote, but in the opposite way. For example, I want '5' on my numberpad to simulate the '5' button on the remote. But instead, pressing the 5 on the remote types a 5 on my pc and I want the reverse. :?:
mmatz

Postby jrhees » Tue May 25, 2004 5:53 pm

Suppose you want the USB-UIRT to transmit the number '5' to your Set-top-box:

1. In Girder, choose Edit->Add Command; a new command will be created and highlighted.
2. With the new command highlighted, click on the 'Plugins' tab, and select 'USB-UIRT Driver'
3. Click the 'Settings' button -- this will cause the USB-UIRT transmit/learn dialog to show.
4. Click the 'Learn IR' button, at which point you will be prompted to learn a button from your remote.
5. Aim your remote directly at the USB-UIRT approximately 4 inches away at a spot just to the left of the RED LED.
6. *Press and Hold* the #5 button on your remote. You will see the progress bar on the screen jump up and the learn dialog will go away. At this point, the plugin has learned the IR data for the button.
7. Press the 'Test Transmit' button and verify that the USB-UIRT sends a '5' to your STB.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby mmatz » Tue May 25, 2004 6:51 pm

Thanks, Jon.

I got it to learn the command. Now, how would I assign a specific key on my keyboard to a learned command?

Thanks.

Mike
mmatz

Postby Treetop » Sat May 29, 2004 7:44 pm

Just saw this thread... I answered in this one...

http://65.36.202.170/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=298
"... if all my possessions were taken from me with one exception, I would choose to keep the power of communication, for by it I would soon regain all the rest."

Daniel Webster
Treetop

Postby mmatz » Sat May 29, 2004 9:03 pm

Thank you very much, Jon and Treetop. I have completed programing it an everything works beautifully! Just like I want it! I'm just wondering, is there a way to change the channel up and down functions on my Aver tv app to change channels on the cable box instead of changing the tuner's channel (which always needs to be on 3)?

Thank you very much!

Mike
mmatz

Return to Troubleshooting