UIRT USB and Suspend to RAM

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

UIRT USB and Suspend to RAM

Postby GoldenEye » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:51 am

I am about to re-install my media center for I want to have a system, which supports suspend to ram (S3).

Without having installed the Hauppauge PVR 350 and the USB UIRT I can send the system to S3 without any problems.

As soon as I add the USB UIRT, this is not possible any more (graphics card and case fans do not turn off). It can't be a specific USB problem, since I can go into S3 with the USB WLAN adapter installed.

Has everybody managed to go into S3 with USB UIRT?

G.
GoldenEye

Postby jrhees » Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:12 pm

It can still be a USB-specific problem -- the OS asks each USB device if it needs to be able to wake the system back up. In Windows XP, if *any* USB device answers 'yes', then the OS will choose S1 instead of S3. This is because Microsoft claims it has issues with many systems suspending to S3 while leaving the PC's USB controller fired up.

There are two things you can try:

1. If you don't need the USB-UIRT to wake up the system, you can turn off the Wake-up option on the USB-UIRT. Go into the 'Configuration' dialog of the USB-UIRT inside Girder to do this.

2. Or, you can add some entries to the Windows Registry which will allow XP to go to S3 with USB-wake-up. YMMV on this. See this thread about the registry entries: http://65.36.202.170/phpbb2/viewtopic.p ... light=hack

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby GoldenEye » Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:12 am

Jon

Thanks a lot for answering my request so quickly. Indeed, the changed registry entries allow me to send my media center into S3. I am also able to wake it using my remote - excellent!

Unfortunately, I face another problem: As soon as the system is back from S3, an Error message appears saying "ERROR: Unable to connect to USB-UIRT device! Please ensure device is connected to the computer"

Exiting and re-starting Girder solves the issue.

Any hints on that?

Thanks a lot

G.
GoldenEye

Postby jrhees » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:52 am

There is an option in the USB-UIRT Plugin Settings (click the 'Settings' button in the Girder dialog where you enable different plugins) which will cause Girder to shut down and restart the USB-UIRT during a suspend. Try changing this option and see if it helps,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:59 pm

Jon

Unfortunately, your suggested solution does not solve the problem. When resuming from S3, the same error message appears and the USB-UIRT device is disabled in the windows device manager.

After enabling the USB-UIRT and restarting Girder, everything works again.

Any further ideas?

Thanks a lot

G.

Postby jrhees » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:41 am

Hmm, that's strange. Try turning the 'disable driver' option back OFF and try this experiment:

1. Start up Girder, USB-UIRT, etc.
2. Press F9 in Girder to Disable Plugins
3. Suspend the machine.
4. Wake the machine back up
5. Press F9 in Girder to re-enable plugins.
6. See if the USB-UIRT is working.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby GoldenEye » Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:16 am

Jon,

this worked - at least this time.

I would need to investigate several times more in order to be sure because I found out that sometimes USB UIRT is available after S3, sometimes, it's not. So far, I haven't seen any pattern, which makes things even worse...

Thanks a lot for your support

G.
GoldenEye

Return to Troubleshooting