USB keyboard and USB-UIRT conflict?

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

USB keyboard and USB-UIRT conflict?

Postby petteri » Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:02 am

Hello,

Having just got (a few hours ago) my USB-UIRT i'm VERY new to this. I got got my Pronto a few days ago. I have a RF wireless keyboard that plugs into a USB port. Could this be interfering with the UIRT and GIRDER? I cannot seem to get anything to work VIA the pronto. For example Theatertek will startup when I "test" the command via girder but when I use the remote nothing happens, ie pause play etc. I am wondering if the keyboard is the culprit because if I "toggle" input devices with girder I lose keyboard and mouse functions and only regain them when I unplug the UIRT. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Petteri Leone
Brooklyn, NY USA
petteri

Postby jrhees » Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:58 am

Petteri,

First things first, to see if the USB-UIRT is actually operating, completely exit Girder and restart it. Once Girder is running, enable input devices (F9) if they're not configured to automatically enable. Then press some buttons on your remote control and you should see numbers appear in the status bar (bottom right corner) of Girder.

To make sure that Girder is actually trying to connect to the USB-UIRT (i.e., the Plugin is properly enabled), exit Girder completely and unplug the USB-UIRT, and restart Girer with the USB-UIRT UNPLUGGED. You should get an error message from Girder that it cannot find the USB-UIRT, etc.

Let me know what you find.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby petteri » Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:18 pm

I can get Girder to receive the signals from my Pronto but only sporadically. I often get the keyboard (and mouse) locked out as described before when I activate the UIRT. I also have gotten a system hang once. I'm not very computer savvy so this is very baffling to me. I was under the impression that USB devices couldn't interere with each other (ie IRQ issues). When I started girder without the UIRT being plugged in I get the error message you described. Once thing is that when I press the settings buttong for the USB-UIRT it comes back with a error stating that it conld not commuincate with the USB-UIRT, but then goes to the settings page anyways after a small delay. BTW the keyboard I'm using is a Logitech wireless(RF). The receiver unit connects to the computer via two cables both USB, however the Keyboard wire connects to the computer via a USB to PS/2 adaptor to the keyboard ps/2 port. When I rebooted the computer with Girder launced at start up and the USB-UIRT connected the keyboard and mouse don't function, but as soon as I remove the UIRT they work again. It seems to my untrained eye the girder is polling all active ports for activity. Is there a way to make it focus on ONLY the USB-UIRT? Thanks for your help again! Sorry for this rambling post also...
petteri

Postby jrhees » Tue Mar 04, 2003 5:13 pm

petteri,

I am wondering about the conflict also. Is it possible for you to temprarily connect a standard wired mouse and keyboard to your PC to see if the USB-UIRT starts behaving normally?

Thanks,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby petteri » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:20 pm

No, I don't have a regular keyboard to test with... I CAN get the USB-UIRT and GIRDER to communicate if I restart the computer. If I try to start girder from the desktop I get the lock up (blue screen) I don't remeber the error code but if I see it again I'll write it down. However even when the UIRT and Girder are "working" the TheaterTek CCF and Girder progam don't work. I have a Pronto TSU3000 and Girder is running at version: 3.2.7b. I have a few USB ports (4 built in) and 3 on a firewire/USB 2 card. At first I had the UIRT connected to a built in port. I changed it over to a port on the card and it "reinstalled" the USB-UIRT. But I got the same errors as before. Is there a way to see these USB ports and whats connected to them via the control panel? I couldn't seem to find anyway to verfiy anything. Thanks again.
petteri

Postby petteri » Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:23 pm

No, I don't have a regular keyboard to test with... I CAN get the USB-UIRT and GIRDER to communicate if I restart the computer. If I try to start girder from the desktop I get the lock up (blue screen) I don't remeber the error code but if I see it again I'll write it down. However even when the UIRT and Girder are "working" the TheaterTek CCF and Girder progam don't work. I have a Pronto TSU3000 and Girder is running at version: 3.2.7b. I have a few USB ports (4 built in) and 3 on a firewire/USB 2 card. At first I had the UIRT connected to a built in port. I changed it over to a port on the card and it "reinstalled" the USB-UIRT. But I got the same errors as before. Is there a way to see these USB ports and whats connected to them via the control panel? I couldn't seem to find anyway to verfiy anything. Thanks again.
petteri

Postby jrhees » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:11 pm

Hmmm, this is very strange. If I were to troubleshoot this on my end, I will need to verify if indeed there is a conflict with the keyboard/mouse. To do this, the logical step is to find a wired keyboard and mouse and try using them and verify functionality.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby petteri » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:55 pm

I think I have found a somewhat stable solution. I've connected the USB-UIRT to the FIREWIRE/USB2.0 card and reinstalled the USB-UIRT. I also relocated the keyboard plugs. For now all is stable!!

On ANOTHER newbie topic...

On the TheaterTek GML - all the commands seem work the IRMAN plugin (don't know for sure because I only have a USB-UIRT) If I relearn these commands then command seems to be "remapped" to the USB-UIRT. Is this normal? Do I have to relearn all girder plug-ins that are designed for a IRMAN? I suppose I could move over to the Girder forum now...Thanks for your help!
petteri

Nasty conflict with Logitec RF Keyboard / Mouse?

Postby Mysticeti » Mon May 03, 2004 9:11 pm

For what it's worth my system also had a serious problems with USB-UIRT.

I'm not entirely sure if it was the RF Keyboard/Mouse or the USB ports on the my motherboard but in the end I followed Petteri's example and purchased a USB 2.0 PCI card and plugged the USB-UIRT into that.

Everything worked fine after getting the drivers for that PCI card loaded.

Before then, lock ups, crashes, nasty stuff.
Mysticeti

Return to Troubleshooting