Wake on USB

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Wake on USB

Postby ewingr » Sun Mar 28, 2004 8:19 pm

Information to consider first:
I have a DFI Lanparty Ultra II B motherboard, which is supposed to support Wake on USB. I have tried setting the Bios to Suspend to RAM (I think that is S3), which is what I think it is supposed to be set at to work. I then selected Wake on right mouse click in the Bios. Doesn't work with a USB mouse. I had no way of seeing if there is power out the USB port to the mouse.

USB-UIRT Settings Tried
Now, I have followed the instructions for learning the Wake on IR command from Girder.

The USB Uirt DOES flash when in standby.

I put the HTPC into standby with the Girder OS Command: Power Management/Rame-Alive Polite.

The USB Uirt does not wake up the PC.

I don't know if it is a motherboard problem, or incorrect configureation. I was encouraged when I determined that the USB Uirt did get power while in standby. Hopeing for resolution.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:06 am

First thing to deduce is whether the Wake-up setup/programming on the USB-UIRT is working. So, to do this, try waking up from regular suspend (S1) and verify the wake-up works there.

Let me know the results of that and we'll go forward trying other things.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby ewingr » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:56 am

I think I've done what you asked. I'm not sure what the difference is supposed to be between S1 and S3. But, here's what I did and what happened:

I went into bios, and Changed the Suspend type from S1 to S3. I left the Wake on USB for S3 active.

I booted up (BTW...I'm on Windows XP PRO), and I selected Shutdown, Suspend. It acted like it was suspending; went to a black screen; but for all intents and purposes, the PC seemed to be running. (Is that what S1 does? I don't know why anyone would want to do that...I presume HDs suspending, etc.)

It did come back to life when I hit the remote command to wake up.
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:08 pm

OK, good. Yes I agree on why would you want to use S1. On some PC's you can turn the fans off and the HD should spin down as well. Anyway, the next thing you'll likely have to do is override Microsoft's OS default which is to *disable* Wake-from-USB on S3. Note that Microsoft defaults to this because USB-Wake from S3 is apparently problematic...

See this thread on how to do this:

http://65.36.202.170/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=92&start=2

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby ewingr » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:05 am

Well, I went and looked. It took me to a link, which took me to another link...but it is all in German or something. Several different things to download. Don't know which is which. I'm afraid I can't do that. I need to know a little more about what I'm doing.

There is a quote of a registry entry to make, but it has spelling errors etc, so I don't trust it.

Clicking through other links I come to a nForce USB Patch Windows XP, but following that, I get to a page with symbol characters, and no download.

That thread you pointed me to actually does not say this resolves anything, at least it says that the USB UIRT still does not wake the system up.

If you can tell me for sure what file to download, rather than my taking a shot in the dark, I might give it a try.

I appreciate your help. Hope I'm not coming off as not wanting to do my part to work with you. But, that link is too much a shot in the dark.
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby ewingr » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:14 am

Say, I went after it a different way. I used some searches in Google, and was able to find the page and translate it. The link to the patch is broken.
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby ewingr » Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:25 am

OK. I found the Microsoft Patch at Microsoft. It is :

Update for Windows XP (KB822603) at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=733dd867-56a0-4956-b7fe-e85b688b7f86&DisplayLang=en.

After applying it my operation has not changed:

Wakes up from S1, does not from S3.
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby jrhees » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:52 pm

Sorry to confuse you! The change I referred to was not the MSoft patch, but rather the registry 'hack' which is needed to keep the OS from telling the USB controller to shut down when entering S3. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the registry hack, and the German site was pointed to me by another user who apparently got this to work.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby ewingr » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:14 pm

Thanks.

I'll try entering that in tonight. If it doesn't work or causes problems, it'll be easy enough to pull back out.

I'll let you know.
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby ewingr » Wed Mar 31, 2004 12:39 am

That did it. I can now boot from S3 with the USB-UIRT.

Now, I guess I'll just watch to see if the problems that Microsoft has shows up on my PC. I wonder what those were? I may try to contact the person in the other post to see if he is still doing it, and how his PC is working.

If anyone has any input on that, please reply here. If I find anthing as a problem, I'll report back here.
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby jrhees » Wed Mar 31, 2004 4:19 am

Power management was always one of MSoft's weaknesses. Usually, though, if you have PM issues, you'll find them pretty quickly (i.e., something won't work right after a resume, etc.).

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby ewingr » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:52 pm

Well, the PC is running OK. Although I haven't done a lot on it yet.

Now, I wonder why the USB Uirt works to wake the computer, but not my other devices (Gyration Mouse for example.)

I suspect there is something I don't know about the requirements to make it work. For example, I had to set up the USB Uirt to do it. It doesn't do it simply by ANY IR command.
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby jrhees » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:36 pm

My guess is that the only chance you have to get your Mouse to wake the PC is in the PC's BIOS. I know my PC has a BIOS option for the mouse to wake the PC (although I use a PS/2 mouse).

BTW What model Gyration Mouse/Keyboard do you use (are they both USB?)

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby ewingr » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:48 am

Hi

I have the, uh, I think it's called professional. Small keyboard; 100' range.

The bios in my pc does say it supports Right click on mouse under USB.

But...I have read that it doesn't work with the Giration stuff. I suspect I'm out of luck with that product for this need.
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:27 pm

Here is the info in english from MS:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... %5D;841858

Next

Return to Troubleshooting