External IR Transmitter

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

External IR Transmitter

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:24 am

Since I want my USB-UIRT to face towards the couch to catch my remote signals, it would not face the right way to transmit to my digital cable box. So, I need to use the jack in the back of the USB-UIRT to to transmit to the cable box? Any ideas where I can get an external transmitter cable doodad about 6 feet long?

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:14 pm

You may not need an external transmitter. Depending on the size/configuration of your room, you may find that the USB-UIRT's built-in 'blaster' is powerful enough to hit your STB anyway.

If you do get an emitter, a standard 'Xantech' style or clone will work. I got some at:

http://www.hometech.com/infrared/emitters.html

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby ewingr » Mon May 10, 2004 3:32 pm

What if you need to send to several diffent units? One emitter isn't enough. I'm searching threads here for an answer to that. I had asked in one a couple weeks ago, and never got an answer.

I am presuming I can hook off the back of the UIRT to some type of Xantech device which will then send to multiple emitters. BUt I don't know if it can be done, or which Xantech to use.
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby jrhees » Mon May 10, 2004 9:41 pm

Depending on how many devices you need emitters for, you may be able to avoid a powered amplified distribution block.

Four or less emitters can probably be wired to the back of the USB-UIRT. More will definitely require an amplified dist. block.

Also, you'll want to try using the blaster built into the USB-UIRT first, since it will control everything in the nearby vicinity.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting