Sending IR codes to multiple "identical" amplifier

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Sending IR codes to multiple "identical" amplifier

Postby sdumas » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:34 am

This should be a tricky one.

Let's say I have 3 identical amplifiers that are using the same IR remote control and same codes

I put IR emitters on each of them, BUT, I want to control them SEPARATELY.

In theory I don't think it is possible to do so, but, here is an idea I'd like to pass among you and see if it is good or if there is a better solution.

By the way, the reason I am doing this is to have multi-room/multi-zone amplification done from a central cabinet.

If I send an IR code to increase volume, all three amplifiers will increase volume without discrimination. I want to avoid that.

I thought about using multiple USBUIRT, but it becomes a difficult solution to manage, even within Girder. ie; which signal do you send to which USBUIRT.

The simplest thing I thought about was to use a low-voltage remote controllable switch. I happen to have one of those, which I will test later.

I would cut one wire of the IR emitter for all three of the emitters that go to the amplifiers. Each emitter would be connected to the remote controllable low-voltage switch. All switches are in the "off/open" position. If I want to send an IR code to increase the volume on amp1, I send first an IR code to the switch telling it to close the circuit for the emitter connected to amp1, then I send the IR code to amp1. When it is finished, I re-opened the circuit of emitter1 so that it can't send additional IR codes by mistake.

This way (in theory, I have yet to try this) IR signals are sent only to the emitters that are in closed mode; so you could choose which amplifier to control.

The only issue I see is one of latency. Since the switch operates by relays, it does induces a significant delay to send the command to the proper amp.

That's my idea. Anybody with better and simpler ideas?

Thanks!

Sylvain Dumas
sdumas

Postby jrhees » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:06 am

Sylvain,

Short of doing what you describe, there are two other options:

1. Use multiple USB-UIRT's. There is now beta support for multiple 'Plugins' in Girder and multiple units connected to the same PC, with each unit given a different 'identity'.

2. Use one of the latest revision USB-UIRT's. I've mentioned this in passing, but have not yet advertised the fact that USB-UIRT's shipped since approx. the beginning of March have built-in HW support for 3 zones -- the blaster, and both the stereo outputs of the jack. I haven't finished/tested the SW to support this yet, but will have test SW soon.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby kanman » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:22 am

Hi Jon,

I bought my UIRT I believe mid February, will I be able to have this functionality once the SW is stable or does my UIRT not have the HW capability? I have 2 Bell Express Vu receivers that accept the same codes so I need to have the option to send codes that will not control both at the same time. I am also checking to see if changing the remote ID on one of the receivers will work also.

Let me know...

FYI the UIRT is working great with J. River, SnapStream, and BEV!!

Kevin
kanman

Postby jrhees » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:52 am

To tell if your USB-UIRT has the HW capability look at the model # on the back. If it has a small letter 'Z' at the end of the model number then it does.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby kanman » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:58 am

Cool, it does!

I'll just watch for updates on the SW side now

Thanks

Kevin
kanman

Return to Troubleshooting