Hauppauge PVR-350 Picture and Sound Freeze with USB-UIRT

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Hauppauge PVR-350 Picture and Sound Freeze with USB-UIRT

Postby mtudor » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:32 pm

Hi,

I've been having this problem for some time and have narrowed it down to the USB-UIRT I believe. Basically, with the USB-UIRT plugged in, if I run either Snapstream BeyondTV or Hauppauge WinTV, the picture and sound freeze after an arbitrary amount of time (about 15 mins usually).

This is with Girder loaded. I haven't yet tried it without Girder loaded (I will later) but I have tried it without Girder but using Snapstream's built in USB-UIRT control and I experience the same problem.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Mark.
mtudor

Postby mtudor » Sun Mar 07, 2004 3:29 pm

Just claiming this topic now I'm a registered user and can get reply notification! Still looking for solutions please ;)
mtudor

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:48 am

I have never heard of anything like this. Even more strange is the fact that the PVR-350 handles all video decode on the card itself (so it basically doesn't even use the PC).

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby mtudor » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:50 am

Very bizarre... But it works fine without the USB-UIRT plugged in so I can only assume it's a conflict of some kind.

Mark.
mtudor

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:56 am

If I weere you I would definitely try seeing if having the USB-UIRT plugged in but having Girder USB-UIRT plugin *disabled* still gave the same problem.

If you like, you can also email me at support@usbuirt.com and I can give you an alternate set of USB drivers to test.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby mtudor » Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:59 am

Ok Jon, I've emailed you. I'll try the new drivers and also using the PVR without Girder loaded and see what happens.

It'll be tomorrow now though as it's 2am in the rainy UK.

Cheers for all the help.

Mark.
mtudor

Postby mtudor » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:43 pm

Hi again Jon,

I haven't tried the new USB drivers yet but here's what I tried.

Load PC without Girder, but with USBUIRT plugged in. Open WinTV. Everything works fine.

Load PC. Load Girder with USBUIRT plugged in. Open WinTV. Picture and Sound freezes after arbitrary time.

Any ideas? ;)

Mark.
mtudor

Postby jrhees » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:33 pm

At this point I would try the other drivers, just in case.

Next, I would try Loading Girder but having either all or the USB-UIRT plugin in Girder disabled.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby mtudor » Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:35 pm

Hey again Jon.

Some updates.

Installed new drivers: Still freezes

Ran Girder with ONLY the USB UIRT Plugin On: Still Freezes

Ran Girder with USB UIRT plugin off: Works fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Mark.
mtudor

Postby jrhees » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:40 am

mtudor,

I'm running out of ideas. Do you use any other USB devices on the PC? If so, can you temporarily unplug them?

What OS are you running?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby mtudor » Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:45 am

Windows XP.

Only other USB device is a USB Mouse... I'll try unplugging everything that i dont need to run the PC - cards, USB devices and all.

Will get back to you later.

Mark.
mtudor

Postby Deadbolt » Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:28 am

I had to uninstall the native Hauppauge IR support in SageTV. Try going to add/remove programs and uninstalling the built-in SageTV Hauppauge IR.

Deadbolt
Deadbolt

Postby mtudor » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:05 am

Thanks for the tip but I don't use SageTV - I use SnapStream. I do have Hauppauge IR support for the silver remote though.. This shouldn't be a problem should it?

Cheers,

Mark.
mtudor

Postby mtudor » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:38 pm

Ok, an update.

Decided to switch to using Snapstream USB-UIRT support to test to see if that made a difference... didn't seem to.

I have now run the tests with the minimum hardware in my PC.

Basically, my PC contains an SB AWE64 Gold, which is an ISA card. And a Winfast DDR180 AGP card. As I only have one ISA slot and one AGP slot, the position of those cards is fixed.

I removed my network card, and so the only other card in was my Hauppauge card. I have had this in every free slot. Although the picture seemed to last longer before the freeze occured, it did still occur. I removed my USB mouse also so the only USB device was the UIRT.

One point of note was this, when the picture freezes in SnapStream, if I remove the USB-UIRT and then press escape to get back to the main menu, and then go back to viewing LiveTV, the picture and sound resumes ok.

I'm absolutely bemused by this, does any of this information help?

Mark.
mtudor

Postby jrhees » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:49 pm

Very puzzling.

What happens if you *don't* remove the USB-UIRT but still press ESC and then go back to LiveTV. Does the picture come back then?

Also, when the picture freezes, do you know if the USB-UIRt is still working (and the PC is still getting its signals, etc.)? If you don't know this, you can check it by having Girder running and you'll see Girder's 'LED' light each time an event is received from the USB-UIRT. You can then see if events still come in after the picture freezes.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Next

Return to Troubleshooting