Jon, Can you take a look at this topic

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Jon, Can you take a look at this topic

Postby DFA » Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:33 pm

Jon:

Can you go here http://forums.freytechnologies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3762&perpage=20&pagenumber=2 and pick up the discussion around Post #33 forward (there is also some going backward) and give any thoughts you have about this "relay delay" issue. Any input is appreciated.

Regards,
Dane
DFA

Postby jrhees » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:59 am

DFA,

I have been meaning to look at this to make *absolutely sure* the delay is not a USB-UIRT/plugin issue. I will likely get to it tonight.

I responded to this earlier in the avs forums that I believe this is a 'intended latency' built into Sage to avoid starting to change a channel if you're only surfing by. However, that's just a guess...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby DFA » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:06 pm

Thanks for having a closer look. Let me know what you find.

There may be cause for someone to want delay before the channel change "string" is issued. However, so far no one seems to want or need it or at least not very much delay. There are provisions in Sage to set the delay to what anyone should want or need. BUT you can't get less than about 2.5 to 2.7 secs minimum no matter how low one sets the delay (in my case, 10 ms.). That's the rub in a nutshell. There is not the full range of timing that should be there. If I set 10 ms. I would hope to get 10 ms. and if I set 2500 ms. I would expect to get 2500 ms. delay, etc.

I have filed a formal request with Sage (Jeff) as well so that he might have a look at it and see if the source of the 2.5- 2.7 sec. fixed buffering is in the Sage code.

Thanks for your time and trouble and look forward your findings. As you know, I have been posting in both the AVS and Sage forums on this topic. I have been proactive in trying to find the source and remedy for this delay.

DFA

DFA
DFA

Postby DFA » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:56 am

HI Jon:

Have not heard back from you yet. Don't forget about me.

Dane
DFA

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:52 am

Jon:

Just wondering if you had a chance to confirm that the Sage DLL plugin does not have any buffering delay for channel changing. As previously discussed, this delay is about 2.5 seconds and is very annoyin"live" mode TV watching with Sage.

Regards,
Dane

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:12 pm

I *was* able to verify that Sage doesn't make the first channel-change call to the plugin for about >2 seconds after pressing Enter. I passed this info onto Jeff @ Sage, but he's really busy I think so I don't know how soon he'll give the issue attention (or even respond for that matter)

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby DFA » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:19 am

Jon:

Thank you very much for your time and effort as always.

I'm sure Jeff will address it in time and suspect that it will not be a big deal to correct, code wise.

It is a big usability issue for those of us who use Sage a lot in "live" TV mode.

I am out of country right now and have not confirmed if it is fixed in 2.0.14 yet. When it is fixed, I will advise here in this thread FYI.

Regards,

Dane
DFA

Return to Troubleshooting