Can't learn anything

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Can't learn anything

Postby acheslow » Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:54 am

I have my new USB-UIRT setup in Girder to receive IR signals but I can't get it to learn anything. I have the plugin enabled, have created a new command, selected the plugin settings, and clicked the learn button. I've tried it with RAW checked and unchecked. I've tried different carrier frequencies, thresholds and speeds but still nothing. I've tried holding the remote farther away and closer up but still nothing. I don't get any progress, signal, or frequency indications, and the LED on the receiver doesn't light up. Am I doing something wrong? Here is my config:

Windows XP Home SP1
Girder 3.2.9
USB-UIRT driver 2.6.3 (also tried an earlier driver that Jon sent me)
Home Theater Master MX-500

Thanks,
Alan
Alan Cheslow
www.cheslow.com
acheslow

Postby jrhees » Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:45 am

Just in case the remote is very strong or wek, try grabbing another remote and lets verify we can get learning to work.

You'll want to hold the remote very close (about 4") away, aimed directly at a point just to the left of the RED LED. Avoid any sort of angle; aim the remote directly into the USB-UIRT at the same level, etc.

See if you can get *any* progress or light of the RED LED.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby acheslow » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:28 pm

Thanks Jon. I grabbed one of my original remotes and it did learn just fine so it seems the problem is with the MX-500. Is learning a learned signal not recommended?

Its not a big deal since I've downloaded CCFs for most of my equipment now anyway, but I just wanted to make sure I could get this to work if I need it later.

Thanks,
Alan
Alan Cheslow
www.cheslow.com
acheslow

Postby jrhees » Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:57 am

If I were you, I'd try the MX again. There shouldn't be any problems learning from it (at the very least you should get the RED LED, etc.). Try backing the remote away some -- maybe its extra powerful...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:02 pm

OK, thanks, I replaced the batteries on the MX-500 and it works fine now too. A related question, though - the UIRT learns my remotes just fine when they are pointed at the receiver but not when they are pointed at a Xantech receiver which is connected to an IR emitter that is stuck on the UIRT. Will the UIRT not learn a signal that is sent through a Xantech emitter or do I need to play with the placement of the emitter?

Thanks,
Alan

Postby jrhees » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:31 pm

Alan,

You can try playing with the placement of the Xantech emitter but there's a good chance this will not work. The Xantech stick-on emitters output very low power IR which is intended for long-range IR receivers (since they are designed to see IR from across the room). The LEARNing sensor on the USB-UIRT is a specialized sensor which is expecting full-power IR froma short range.

In any case the LEARNing sensor is located just to the left (about 3/32") of the RED LED.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting