USB-UIRT stops responding

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT stops responding

Postby sbourdon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:53 am

For no apparent reason, USB-UIRT stops responding every now and then (once or twice a week). The only way to reactivate it is to unplug it from the USB port and plug it back in...

When that happened, most of the time I was watching TV. Unable to change channels with my remote, I closed Girder and reopened it. At that time, a message appeared on the screen saying that USB-UIRT was not responding. That's when I had to unplug it from the USB port and plug it back in, as that was the only way to reactivate the USB-UIRT...

Any idea about what could be the cause of that?
sbourdon

Postby jrhees » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:08 pm

Generally this is caused by the USB interface on the USB-UIRT getting 'zapped' by either a static discharge or enough EMI noise.

Some questions:

1. Is the USB-UIRt plugged directly into the PC or into a hub?
2. Are you using external emitters, and if so, how long is the emitter cable?
3. Are you using any extended USB cable?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby sbourdon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:26 pm

Hello,

The USB-UIRT is plugged into a Hub and I'm not using an external emitter or extension cable.

Thanks!
sbourdon

Postby jrhees » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:01 pm

Do you know if your hub is self-powered (plugged into the wall), and if so, is it set to self-powered mode (many hubs have a small switch)? You may want to experiment with this (also you may want to try plugging directly into the PC)

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby sbourdon » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:24 pm

The hub is self-powered (Cicero USB 7 Port Hub, Model no. USB-107). I will try pluging it in directly into the PC and get back to you on that...

Thanks!
sbourdon

Postby jksmurf » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:47 am

Here's a quick and dirty batch file workaround to unplugging/replugging the device if it doesn't work from wake from standby. Not a fix, just a workaround. This might be ablt to be run automatically on the PC Wake Event, but I am not sure how to do that yet.

k.
Copy the following to a text file and rename to a batch file USBUIRTRestart.bat. Follow the instructions after the "REM's"

REM =========================================================================
REM DOWNLOAD DEVCON FROM MICROSOFT See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
REM
REM Put the extracted (unzipped!) file devcon from either i386 or ia64 in C:\Windows\System32
REM
REM Open a cmd window and Use devcon.exe find usb\* to check the ID is the same as mine.
REM
REM Alternatively using devcon.exe find usb\* ->out.txt will make a nice text
REM
REM file for you so do not have to open a cmd window.
REM
REM Mine is e.g. USB\VID_0403&PID_F850\6&2CF6D41A&0&1 : USB-UIRT Device
REM
REM =========================================================================

devcon.exe restart USB\VID_0403*
jksmurf

Return to Troubleshooting