USBUIRT girder plugin fails to initialize after boot

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

USBUIRT girder plugin fails to initialize after boot

Postby pcaulfie » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:51 am

John, I have my USBUIRT working great with my MX-500 and my new setup. Thanks for the great product.

I have one final problem, a pretty annoying problem. I have girder to startup at bootup and everytime I get a USBUIRT error saying it failed to initialize the hardware and that the plugin wasn't loaded.

The workaround for this is to unplug the USBUIRT and then promptly plug it back in. Then XP Home recognizes it, I restart girder, and all is well. Any suggestions? Thanks.
pcaulfie

Postby jrhees » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:37 am

Pcaulfie,

Another user had this same problem. Unfortunately, we didn't get to the bottom of it, since he went out and purchased a USB card for his PC and the problem went away.

I would be interested in a few experiments if you don't mind.

First: When you boot your PC (before you unplug and re-plug the USB-UIRT) can you aim your remote at the USB-UIRT and press a button and see if the USB-UIRT's LED flashes?

Second: Can you go into the device manager and see what is listed under USB Devices? (before you unplug/re-plug)

Third: can you tell me the exact wording of the error message?

Thanks!

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:11 pm

Jon, here are my responses.

I get two critical errors:

"Unable to connect to USB-UIRT device. Please ensure device is connect to the computer."

"Plugins enable failed"

Yes, the red LED still blinks after I get this error. Although the girder icon does not blink like it usually would indicating it was receiving commands from the remote.

Finally, in device manager I have the following for USB controllers:

- Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB Root Hub
- USB-UIRT Device
- VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

This is my system setup:

AMD Athalon XP 2500 Barton w/768mb Ram
Asus A7V8X-X MB

Let me know if you need more info. Thanks again for the help!

-Patrick

Postby jrhees » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:11 am

Patrick,

One more thing. Can you look in Device Manager when the device *isnt* working and see if the USB-UIRT device appears or has an exclamation icon, etc.?

Thanks,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:24 pm

Jon, when I get the error (it worked fine for a few reboots), there is no change, everything in device manager looks the same, no errors.

Postby jrhees » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:39 am

Patrick,

After I get some more in stock, how about we revisit this with an exchange unit just in case...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby pcaulfie » Tue Jan 27, 2004 1:36 am

Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the great support. Feel free to keep me posted at p.caulfield@att.net. Thanks again.
pcaulfie

Postby pcaulfie » Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:22 pm

Now I'm getting the "Blue Screen of Death" with an IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL error. Maybe there's an IRQ conflict? This happens when Girder craps out for some reason.
pcaulfie

Postby jrhees » Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:18 pm

I'm sending you a replacement. At least then we'll know if this is a USB-UIRT HW issue.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby pcaulfie » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:21 pm

Hi Jon, I just returned from business travel and was pleased to see the new unit waiting for me. Thanks! I gave it a shot and no luck! Actually, the problem I reported hasn't reared its ugly head, but now I can't control anything. It looks like everytime I press a button the remote, say the same button, the IR code changes. I switched back to the old unit, rebooted, and everything works fine. I did a driver reinstall from scratch with the new unit to no avail. I'm pretty much at a loss.
pcaulfie

Postby pcaulfie » Fri Feb 13, 2004 11:50 pm

Some more symptoms. It is now doing the same thing with the old UIRT. I have girder loaded, I push a button on the remote to launch ZoomPlayer. I can then hit the Play button on the remote, it start playing, after than ZP will not respond at all. I look in the girder window and see the IR random codes for the same button.
pcaulfie

Postby pcaulfie » Sat Feb 14, 2004 4:49 am

Looks like replacing the batteries of my remote solved the problem. I guess that makes sense why the USB-UIRT was getting all kinds of different/weak ir codes.
pcaulfie

Postby pcaulfie » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:09 pm

Ok, or maybe not. Seemed to work after replacing batteries but must have been a coincidence. I'm reinstalling everything on my HTPC so I'll see if I still have the same problem.
pcaulfie

Postby jrhees » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:13 pm

If you're not seeing consistent codes (random), try:

1. Move your remote closer and see if the problem clears up...

2. Try removing sources of light (dimmed lights, sunlight, plasma screens, etc.) and see if this has an effect.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 21, 2004 12:05 am

No issues with lights, all are off and I use a front projector so no issues from tv. I use a URC MX-500. When the remote is 6 inches away I get a consistent code. The farther away I get the worse it gets. At 1.5 feet I consistently get bad codes. I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on. This setup worked great for a few months and all of a sudden started happening. I'll try the old USB-UIRT to double check and see if I have the same problems.

Next

Return to Troubleshooting