doh

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Postby pdermody » Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:15 pm

Jon,

Yeah I tried removing the Denon IR codes from the group with no difference. However, when inserting a 4-5 second wait the Dish on is usable consistently with and without the Denon IR stuff in the command group.

So it appears I have a usable solution at the moment, the delay is ok because it takes my receiver and monitor a couple second to kick into a usable state.

Odd though, looking at the LED on the unit, it appears that when it is receiving the power from my remote that it is only as long as I hold it down which is a split second, and I can see (based on LED activity) that it is sending IR out after but the dish just never responded without this delay.

-pd
pdermody

Postby jrhees » Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:28 am

Still sounds like receiver desensitization. I know you mentioned before that your Dish receiver has a mouse emitter on it and that it cannot 'see' your Remote control but it sounds like it may not be completely blocked and can still see a bit.

So,

1. Try cutting down the 4-5 second delay to determine how short you can go before things start failing.

2. Try to *really* isolate the Dish IR receiver from your remote and see if you can further improve things.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby pdermody » Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:18 pm

Will do so this week sometime and get back to you. Black electrical tape should do it right? in terms of blocking IR reception on the Dish unit?

Thanks for all the help,
Paul Dermody
pdermody

Postby jrhees » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:20 am

A *couple of layers* of black tape will do it (IR can really penetrate!). However, even this might not be enough if you intend to block the RECEIVER. This is because a lot of receivers are hidden behind a large front plexiglass panel (usually dark to appear near-black but transparent enough for the display, etc.). This panel acts somewhat like a light-pipe and therefore you may find you have to cover your entire receiver!

Until you know this is the issue for sure, I suggest you instead shield the *source* (i.e., the Remote control) from your receiver. Try to position/cover your remote so that only the USB-UIRT can see it for testing.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting