Girder error: Unable to communicate with USB-UIRT?

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Girder error: Unable to communicate with USB-UIRT?

Postby ToeJam » Sat Dec 27, 2003 8:49 am

Very strange problem here. Everything is setup fine with Girder and USB-UIRT working perfectly. Here's the problem. After loading a big program like myHTPC or Snapstream trial, I get that error message from Girder. No matter what, always that error until I reboot. If I reboot, the same thing happens all over again. After several days of being stuck trying to get it all to work, I tried just unplugging and replugging the USB-UIRT and voila, it comes to life. So as of now, I'm always doing this after I've loaded up my PVR program. Everything now works, but I'd love to find a permanent solution to this. I'm running WinXP SP1 on a P3-800 using onboard USB1.1 . Harddrive is an old/slow 27Gig Maxtor. Thanks in advance!!
ToeJam

Postby jrhees » Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:55 pm

That is indeed very strange! One guess is that perhaps the Snapstream software (which now has built-in support for the USB-UIRT) is trying to 'take over' the USB-UIRT?

Make sure you're running the latest Girder plugin (www.usbuirt.com/latestGirderPlugin.zip) and the latest API driver (www.usbuirt.com/latestAPIDriver.zip). Note: the API driver goes in your Windows\System32 folder.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby ToeJam » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:29 pm

Thanks for replying. I've tried Snapstream without Girder and same results. After loading SS, I unplug and replug in UIRT and then it works. I've tried many combinations of the API drivers and Girder plugins, even flashed the UIRT. All the same results. Could it be the speed of my Machine? After starting SS/myHTPC, it takes about 5-10 seconds to load up with the HD light flashing constantly. Should I buy a PCI-USB 2.0 card and not use the onboard USB1.1? Thanks again.
ToeJam

Postby jrhees » Sat Dec 27, 2003 9:45 pm

Could you give this a try?

--after machine boot--
1. Start Girder & Enable Plugins (to verify USB-UIRT is working OK)
2. COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN GIRDER (File->Close)
3. Start SS/myHTPC
4. Completely shut down SS/myHTPC
5. Start up Girder again & Enable plugins.

What other USB peripherals do you have?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby ToeJam » Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:51 am

Thanks for all your help JRhee, but I went out and bought a $20 PCI-USB 2.0 card and now no more problems. Must be a problem with the onboard USB1.1. As a plus, the card comes with an internal USB socket, so I plan to mount the UIRT internally through an unused floppy drive bay. Thanks again!
ToeJam

Postby jrhees » Sun Dec 28, 2003 5:40 am

Hmmmm, very strange nonetheless...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby robm » Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:25 am

I am having the same problem but would prefer to not have to buy a USB board (I have 6 USB 2.0 ports built into my system board). Following is the message I posted on the SnapStream forums... any help you can provide would be much appreciated!

Another thing I found/noticed after reading this thread is that unplugging and plugging back in the device does help. However, each time I plug it back in I am forced to tell XP Pro SP1 where to find the support files for the "new device"... which is unusual for a USB device?

------------------------------------------------------
I have the following installed:

BTV 3.4.1
USB-UIRT (driver 1.2, girder plugin 2.5.9)
Girder 3.2.9

If I startup Girder before I start up BTV, BTV does not successfully use the USB-UIRT to change channels (no LED activity).

If I startup BTV before starting up Girder, I get a "Unable to connect to USB-UIRT device" message when starting Girder.

Shouldn't I be able to have both programs access the USB-UIRT at the same time?

BTW, I have BTV using the built-in USB-UIRT support (I 've also read something about SSGirderPlugin support, but have not tried this).

Any suggestions, help, or recommendations would be much appreciated! TIA...

-- robm
robm

Postby jrhees » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:11 pm

robm,

You're problem is actually different, and easy to solve. To allow Girder to share the USB-UIRT with other apps requires the following:

1. Download and replace your USB-UIRT API Driver from www.usbuirt.com/latestAPIDriver.zip . Place the file in the .zip (uuirtdrv.dll) in your Windows\System32 folder.

2. Download and replace your Girder plugin with the latest at www.usbuirt.com/latestGirderPlugin.zip . This plugin allows 'sharing'.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby robm » Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:00 am

Jon,

Thanks! That fixed it. I should have installed these files since you mentioned them earlier, but I thought I had the latest driver/plugin.

I much appreciate your reply!

-- robm
robm

Return to Troubleshooting