USB-UIRT not allowing HTPC to go into Standby

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT not allowing HTPC to go into Standby

Postby guest » Wed May 31, 2006 3:55 pm

When I put sagetv to sleep my HTPC is suppose to go into standby after 10 min. However, When I turn my TV back on at a later time there is a thing telling me that the USB-UIRT is preventing windows from entering standby. Any ideas to fix this?

Postby jrhees » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:00 am

It appears your system's USB host driver does not support wake from USB, and since the USB-UIRT defaults to requesting wake-up support, it is preventing the PC from going to sleep. You can turn off the USB-UIRT's wake-up support by using the lrnHelper app: www.usbuirt.com/lrnhelper_0_0_3.zip

Run this app and choose File->Wake Up Configuration and UN-check the setting that enables USB-UIRT wake-up.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:50 pm

I downloaded the app and when I tried to run it I got an error the reads: "Run-time error 713" "Class not registered" "You need the following file to be installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL" What is this? How do I proceed?

Thanks

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:16 pm

Ok, I've downloaded the .DLL file, but I can't seem to place it in the windows system directory correctly. I've placed the file in several locations, but I still get the same error. I have windows xp home sp2

Postby jrhees » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:06 pm

This is an ActiveX file. You need to place it in the Windows\System32 folder.

Then, you need to go to a command-line prompt, go to the Windows\System32 folder, and enter:

"Regsvr32 msstdfmt.dll"

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:53 pm

Ok, I've got the .DLL file going and the Irnhelper opened up for me. I went to file and then wake-up config., but it was not default to Enable USB-UIRT Wake-up Feature, so I tried having my PC enter standby with it enabled and then with it unenabled again, but I still have the issue of my PC not being able to enter standby. Can you make any other suggestions?

Postby jrhees » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:39 pm

No, that should do it. Curious, since this should be enabled by default...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:12 pm

jrhees wrote:It appears your system's USB host driver does not support wake from USB.

-Jon

How do I figure out what my USB Host Driver is and how do I find one that will support it?

Thanks.

Craig

Postby jrhees » Mon Jun 26, 2006 5:26 pm

In Device Manager, select the USB Host Controller entries, and go into their Properties.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby craigap » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:45 pm

I went into my device manager. At the bottom of the list (windows xp home by the way) was "Universal Serial Bus Controllers." I double clicked that to reveal 6 more selections. They read: Generic USB Hub, Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller, Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller, USB Root Hub, USB Root Hub, USB-UIRT Device. The last selection, "USB-UIRT device" has no power management tab in the properties. It just has "General" "Driver" and "Details". Under the first "USB Root Hub" selection and under the "Power" tab it lists attached devices. One is USB-UIRT device. Under the "Power Management" tab there are two boxes that can be checked. One says, "Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power." The other says, "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby." The the second box however will not allow me to check it. Is it possible to change this to allow me to check it. I am running in to a whole mess of issues with sage and this USB-UIRT. While trying to check the wake up support box in the IrmHelper sage crashes(even if sage is asleep). If I try to turn off the sageservice and close all the way out of sage, and then try to check the wake up support box, when I restart sage I get an audio playback error and my computer is now stuck in a cycle of BOOT-->Load windows-->Load sage(to full screen automatically0-->playback error-->Freeze(in which all I can do is press reset or Power button). I don't know turning off sageservice had anything to do with it, but if just by checking the wake up support box in the Irmhelper crashes sage then there seems to be some issue. Any comments?

EDIT:

Just to add to the above post, when I close sagetv by using the X in the upper right hand corner when windowed and open the Irnhelper to the wake up configuration the "Enable wake up feature" box is checked. If I leave sage windowed, or put it to sleep the box is unchecked when I open the Irnhelper. I also fixed the freeze problem, but it still freezes if I go back to the same configuration.
craigap

Postby jrhees » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:07 pm

I cannot imagine how the 'Enable Wake' setting on the USB-UIRT should not affect Sage's operation in any way. It does sound like there is a problem with trying to use lrnHelper and Sage at the same time. If you can, try disabling the Wake feature by using lrnHelper when Sage is *completely* down, then make sure lrnHelper is closed before restarting Sage. Also, note that after changing the Wake setting in lrnHelper, you need to close lrnHelper, unplug the USB-UIRT and plug it back in to take effect.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby craigap » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:03 pm

Ok. I want to try to start this over somewhat. I recently reinstalled windows and everything else. Originally, windows wouldn't enter standby because of the USB-UIRT. Since the reinstall I've gone to the power management of the USB controller and turned off the option to allow window to shut off the usb device to save power, and I've enabled sage wakeup function. My PC now enters standby without issues. However, there is a box in the same power management section of the usb controller that says "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby." Nothing I've done so far gives me the ability to check this box. I have a feeling this is the only way I'm gonna get the USB-UIRT to wake my pc from standby. I've entered 4 codes into the Irnhelper to signal the wakeup. None of them will work. What do I do now

Edit: Just to add, I'm fairly certain it's not a motherboard powersupply issue seeing that when my pc is in S3 standby the led on the USB-UIRT flashes when it recieves a signal from my remote.
craigap

Postby jrhees » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:53 pm

What app are you using to program the wake-up codes into the USB-UIRT?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby craigap » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:26 am

I'm using the Irnhelper that you gave me the link to in a post above. I open the Irnhelper and click on "file" then I click on "wake up configuration." This is where things start to get weird. When sagetv is running(service mode and UI mode) the Irnhelper has the "enable USB-UIRT wake-up configuration" unchecked. If I close Sage, meaning the UI mode (service mode continues to run) then the Irnhelper opens up as defaulting to "enable USB-UIRT wake-up configuration." When Sage is running (service mode and UI mode) and I try to check the the wake-up configuration box then I instantly get an error and windows has to close SageTV. When sage is not running, meaning the UI mode(service mode continues to run) I can put in wake up codes. I select the wakeup IR slot and then click learn and then flash it. The IR codes are entered, but I think it may not be able to wake up my pc, because of how it is conflicting with Sage. I have tried every variation of running/closing sage in UI mode and/or Service mode while openning/checking/unplugging/plugging....you name it, it just won't work.

I just took a closer look at the error reports made up by windows. There is actually two. One is for sagetv and the other is for Irnhelper. It gives me the file directories for where are written, but I can't seem to find them to copy them to let you see what the error is.

Edit: I got some feed back from sagetv and they can't tell what is happening by reading the sagetv bug report. They suggested I turn off the USB UIRT in sage and then try. I did that and openend up the wake configuration with sage running and it was default to enabling wake up. I put in an IR code to generate the wake up, and then initilized the USB UIRT in Sage. Unfortunately, When I reopen Irnhelper with sage running it still shows the wakeup box unchecked.
craigap

Postby craigap » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:49 pm

I've been messing with this a reading up for the past couple of weeks since my last post above. I've since found I have the ability to enter S1 and have the USB UIRT wake up my PC from S1. This is only when I change the BIOS setting to S1 only. My BIOS has 3 settings: S1, S3, and S1&S3. If I use S3 only my PC will enter S3 reguardless if I use the MS USBBIOSx hack or not. However, the USB UIRT will not wake my PC from S3. If I chose S1&S3, Windows will not enter standby(with or without the hack) and I get a message on my desktop that says its a problem with the USB UIRT drivers. The conflict I had between the Lrnhelper and sagetv seems to not matter as I've flashed a wakeup code into the USB UIRT and then deleted Lrnhelper off my system and my USB UIRT is able to wake my PC from S1. Under no circumstances, however, will the Power management tab for the USB hubs let me select the box reading "Allow this device to wake PC". My USB drivers are all Microsoft and my Motherboard supplies power to the USB port for which my USB UIRT is connected. So.... I can't seem to figure out why, when in S3, the USB UIRT will not wake my PC (The LED flashes, but nothing happens.)

Craig
craigap

Next

Return to Troubleshooting