Channel Training Problem (Newbie)

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Channel Training Problem (Newbie)

Postby ptroost » Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:53 am

I purchased the USB UIRT for use with Snapstream. I had previously tried the Actisys Serial model with no luck if anyone is in the market for one slightly used :D

This unit seems to work much better but will not train channels correctly with Snapstream and my remote. Channels 1 - 7 work fine, but 8 sends a 5, and 9 sends a 6. 0 sends nothing at all. I have tried it three times with the remote at various distances (1 - 6") from the USB UIRT all with the same result.

If anyone can recommend how to fix it with Snapstream, or implement a workaround with Snapstream, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Peter
ptroost

Postby jrhees » Sat Oct 18, 2003 2:43 am

Peter,

Are you using the USB-UIRT directly with Snapstream or are you using the Girder plugin?

Thanks,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

I'm using the USB UIRT with Snapstream Directly

Postby ptroost » Sat Oct 18, 2003 8:29 pm

I'm not sure what the Girder plug-in is. I'm just using the USB UIRT with Snapstream directly.

Thanks!

Peter
ptroost

Postby jrhees » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:29 pm

Peter,

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to support the SnapStream support of the USB-UIRT [yet]. I do not have access to the SnapStream Software nor the technical details of their implementation (Snapstream engineers did their own USB-UIRT development).

I *can*, however, give you some things to try to help us determine where the problem lies:

1. I assume that the Snapstream software asks you to learn each button on your remote so that it can control your equipment, correct?
2. If #1 above is true, does the software give you the ability to individually test each learned button? If so, what happens when you learn the button '8' and then test it?
3. If you don't have a way to individually test each button, try learning the '8' button *in place* of another number (i.e., when the SW asks you to learn '3', use the '8' button instead. Then try having Snapstream tell your equipment to switch to channel 3 and see if it changes to 8 or 5 (this is to determine if the reason your 8 sends a 5 is because of the Snapstream SW or a learning problem of the '8' button).

Another tip: When learning a button on your remote, make sure to wait until the Snapstream SW tells to to press the button and then PRESS and HOLD the button until learning is finished. Put the remote on a stable surface to avoid movement during learning.

Can I ask what brand of equipment you're trying to control?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Snapstream

Postby ptroost » Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:41 am

Unfortunately, the Snapstream training interface is pretty limited. It does ask you to train each button, one at a time, but doesn't give you a way to test individual buttons. After you "teach" all the buttons, it goes through a series of tests which consist of sending each number several times.

I've solved the problem by switching to a different cable box (different brand). That one works fine, but now my reception is bad. I think we can consider the issue closed, it's a great product!

Thanks,

Peter
ptroost

Postby jrhees » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:33 am

If you don't mind too much I'd still be interested in the Cable box brand and the remote you were using to train the USB-UIRT. I've sent off emails to SnapStream to hopefully get me set up with more info on their setup.

Best Regards,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby HailStorm » Sat Oct 25, 2003 6:46 am

Good Evening,

It appears ptroost was able to rectify whatever problem he was having, as on the SnapStream forum he said he finally got it to work.

I've run the training tests at least a dozen times, and timed the button pressing exactly as you specify in the other 'newbie' thread. No dice so far.

Still waiting back for assistance from SnapStream. There is no documentation on their support of the UIRT in the PVS 3.3 help files, but they promoted it in their marketing email. ;-)

I am using a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 on Charter Communications. Standard SA remote too.

Hopefully, you have heard back from SnapStream so you can provide more details on their implementation!

TIA,

Paul
HailStorm

Postby jrhees » Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:34 pm

Paul,

E-mail me at uirtsupport@earthlink.net

The Snapstream implementation unfortunately gives no feedback on the training process, which makes it difficult to position your remote correctly, etc. E-mail me and I'll send you a simple program which you can use to test learning.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby jmcclain » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:50 am

As I've posted in a couple other threads, I'm also having problems with the Snapstream BTV3.4 wizard and the USB-UIRT in "train" mode. But for me, the problem is that the wizard just crashes and disappears with no error message or anything. no matter how many times I try it, it always stops responding and crashes (not always at the exact same point, but it is during the "press button 1 and hold it...press button 2...etc" part).

Thanks,

-Jeff
jmcclain

Return to Troubleshooting