Noob trying to get started

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

Noob trying to get started

Postby Lifter » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:12 am

I'm playing around with girder, and getting the hang of it. My question is, it seems that when the UIRT plugin learns commands (commands to be transmitted), it's much, much, much better at learning IR codes than when you have Girder "learn event". The plugin makes you hold the button down, etc.

Is there a way to learn eventstrings w/ the plugin?

I have a Terk Leapfrog in the mix. It's an IR->RF->IR repeater. The leapfrog works fine w/ all my components, but when learning eventstrings in Girder, I keep getting random codes. I generally have to push the same button 6 or 7 times to get a code to duplicate. I've tried 3 or 4 remotes. Same thing.
Lifter

Postby jrhees » Mon Aug 18, 2003 3:40 pm

This problem is likely due to the RF/IR repeater. Since 'dumb' repeaters don't actually decode any IR signals, but simply pass them from room to room, they pass nearly all IR energy which is received by the receiver. This includes ambient IR energy, etc. etc. Because of this, you're likely to get a lot of false codes (perhaps even when no remote button is being pressed).

Currently then best suggestion I have for you is to not use the repeater when learning events into Girder.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Lifter » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:32 pm

Thanks. It's working pretty well w/o the repeater. But I kind of need to use a repeater, unless there's some sort of RF wireless USB extender. Is there a specific repeater you could recommend?
Lifter

Postby jrhees » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:38 pm

I meant to not use the repeater while learning events and setting up Girder, but to put it into place after everything's set up...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Troubleshooting