USBUIRT ftdibus.sys, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION crash in Win10

Having problems? Use this forum to find help!

Moderator: jrhees

USBUIRT ftdibus.sys, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION crash in Win10

Postby jksmurf » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:45 pm

I have been using a USBUIRT since 2004 and a recent Windows 10 update has given my first crash.
Rather, lots of crashes on windows startup, with SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED errors all over.
Analysis using "WhoCrashed" of 7 minidumps all look like below:

The only ftdibus.sys-based device on my PC is the USBUIRT.

This thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5606 describes how to roll your own driver, but I am too scared to try it.
Can anyone help please? Or if John Rees is till about - any chance of an update?

Code: Select all
On Mon 11/16/2015 12:37:02 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\111615-13828-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ftdibus.sys (ftdibus+0x9363)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF801CB054C90, 0xFFFFD0013DD9AF08, 0xFFFFD0013DD9A720)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\ftdibus.sys
product: FTDIChip CDM Drivers
company: FTDI Ltd.
description: FTDIBUS USB Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ftdibus.sys (FTDIBUS USB Driver, FTDI Ltd.).
Google query: FTDI Ltd. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

Cheers

Kristian
jksmurf

Re: USBUIRT ftdibus.sys, SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION crash in Wi

Postby jksmurf » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:38 pm

OK I did it!
Worked using the details in the link.
jksmurf

Postby massey4 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:20 pm

Based on the next to non-existent activity in this forum these days I suspect this is wasted effort but nothing ventured, nothing gained...

After you got the new driver working under Win10, were you able to use the WAKE (from standby) function of the UIRT?
I've tried (under 32-bit Win10) to use the same driver that was working under Win7 but the wake function does not work for me under Win10.
massey4

Postby mediadogg » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:47 pm

jksmurf wrote:OK I did it!
Worked using the details in the link.

Is your work reflected in the latest driver from Jon Rhees? If not, can you share your result?
Thanks for your support. Free tools at www.mediadogg.com. Advanced tools at www.mediadogg.com/shopping/.
mediadogg

Postby andyd » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:57 am

massey4 wrote:Based on the next to non-existent activity in this forum these days I suspect this is wasted effort but nothing ventured, nothing gained...

After you got the new driver working under Win10, were you able to use the WAKE (from standby) function of the UIRT?
I've tried (under 32-bit Win10) to use the same driver that was working under Win7 but the wake function does not work for me under Win10.

Did you figure this out? I'm having the same issue. Looks like it's working just fine when the system is running but doesn't wake the PC as it did in Windows 8
andyd

Postby jksmurf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 pm

Hi

I have been using my trusty USBUIRT for well over 10 years with NPVR and while the developer stopped updating drivers beyond Win 7/8 I have had real problems with BSOD crashes in Windows 10. Whocrashed said it was FTDI, which is (only) used by the USBUIRT on my PC. What follows is for those of you with a USBUIRT that want to use it in Win10 x32/x64

A year or two back I found a solution to modify the inf file and jump through a few hoops to get the driver from this FTDI site to work on WinX x64 (before the dev updated the drivers for Win7/8 to x64), using this link from the USBUIRT forum. I have now done this for Win10.

The attached contains the semi-finished product. I say semi as:

1. You may need to turn off driving signing to install. Notes to do this are in the file / link.
2. You may need to sign the driver after installing using a 3rd party tool dseo13b.exe. Notes also in the file / link.
3. You may need to manually copy ftdibus.sys from the i386 folder to Windows_System32_drivers and then sign it. I had to, the install didn't seem to do it for me.

No responsibility for these, use at your own risk :-).

k.
jksmurf

Postby jksmurf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:48 pm

Sorry, max file size here is 256kb. See here for the file.

k.
jksmurf

Return to Troubleshooting