external emitter -- which way to go? hardwired or RF

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

external emitter -- which way to go? hardwired or RF

Postby LuckMan212 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:36 am

hi guys I have a question: I just got my USB-UIRT and some of my equipment is just "out of range" of the transmitter. I need to boost the signal by getting an emitter closer to these trouble devices. I was wondering what you guys thought the best method was: making a long hardwired emitter (it would be ~40feet - is that too long?) or getting something like a PowerMid (RF) and placing it near the USB-UIRT and using it to repeat the signal near the target devices.

I have not been able to find anything like the PowerMid that connects to a 1/8" IR jack like whats on the back of the UIRT. If such a device exists I imagine that would be the best solution.

What about something like the Hot Link Pro? anyone tried this?
Hot Link Pro emitter extension kit - http://www.smarthome.com/8225a.html
LuckMan212

Postby LuckMan212 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:14 pm

hmm.. nobody has any ideas on this?
LuckMan212

Postby andymorgan1 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:43 am

I use a combination of the 1/8" jack on the back of the uirt and also a ir repeater. I have three hardwired emitters running out of the jack, probably about 40 feet by the time it runs though my roof, to control my av equipment and use the repeater to control my air conditioner. I've found the 3 external emitters to be 100% reliable. Hope this helps

Cheers

Andy
andymorgan1

Postby LuckMan212 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:15 pm

yes that does help some.. I guess I will try making a long emitter. What IR repeater are you using?
LuckMan212

Postby andymorgan1 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:51 am

I am in Australia and got one from Dick Smith, an electronics store...not sure where you are located. Its their own brand and works OK. Its actually an AV sender with an ir repeater inbuilt and I found that this was cheaper than getting an ir repeater on its own.
andymorgan1

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:38 pm

andymorgan1 wrote:I am in Australia and got one from Dick Smith, an electronics store...not sure where you are located. Its their own brand and works OK. Its actually an AV sender with an ir repeater inbuilt and I found that this was cheaper than getting an ir repeater on its own.

Hi AndyMorgan1,

I am also in Australia (Perth) I don't suppose you can remember the cat nunber for the repeater you are talking about or the name of it. I am not able to find it online at the moment.

Thanks,

BB

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:54 pm

Hi

I think AndyMorgan was referring to a av sender such as the one in the link Altronics below....

http://tinyurl.com/mowyd

Another solution might be my FirM Jr...although its not a blaster system...

http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/page8.html

Frank

Postby andymorgan1 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:37 am

Hi...thats correct, quite similar to the one from Altronics. The catalogue number from Dick Smith is L5894. Just go to their web site and punch it in under the search tab.

Cheers

Andy
andymorgan1

Return to Installation