n00b help - the big picture

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

n00b help - the big picture

Postby vichon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:06 pm

Sorry for this but I appear to be really lost. I had a normal Tivo DirectTV setup and then upgraded to a standalone HD setup. I purchased a DirecTv HD20 reciever and then found out about BeyondTV which I am now testing out. I saw the limitations of the software related to changing the channels on my HD20 so I purchased a USB-UIRT. However, as there was no included instructions except how to install the driver (not a slam - I understand about this forum Jon), I am really lost. So in an effort to clear things up, I'm hoping some of you will take pity on me and help me out. . I've read the forum but still have some really basic questions.

1. Do I need the Girder software installed? I installed 3.3.8 but do not really want to purchase it and with BeyondTV don't believe I have to.
2. On the hardware setup - I have the USB-UIRT plugged into my usb port and then found out I need an IR emitter. I'm not exactly sure what that is . . I did find in my cable stash the little red remote button which you can stick/tape on top of your IR circle on the reciever (probably from an WinTV150 I have around) and the 8mm connector fit into the UIRT but I need to verify that is what everyone is talking about.
3. At this point, when I use my Dtv remote, I see no lights on the USB-UIRT at all. I have changed USB ports - what was strange was that I had to install the drivers again.
4. I run the BeyondTV setup wizard to program the Directv remote (I assume this is correct?). I have to pick unknown because my reciever is not listed. Do I point my Dtv remote at the USB-UIRT or at the IR emitter? Shouldn't my USB-UIRT LED be lighting up?
5. I get the Timeout error which was seen in this forum back in 2004.
6. I have heard this reciever is a bear to get working with USB-UIRT - however then someone said to put it in RF mode and it works great. I have done that . . don't know if that is related.
7. I also will want to configure my OTA HD channels from my ATI HD Wonder card - do I need to program my ATI remote for this?

So in short, I have read quite a bit but am missing a lot. Can someone please help clarify things for me?

Thanks in advance. I'm a relatively techinical person who feels like an idiot on this one . . .
vichon

Postby vichon » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:47 pm

One more addition -

When I try to program a command and tell it to learn the remote in Girder, it shows no signal. FYI.
vichon

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:38 am

Nevermind. It turns out it was my remote. I called Dtv and told them my remote was hosed. They reset it with me and then it started to work with USB-UIRT (My led started showing).

Good news for the forum - I programmed the remote in BeyondTV and then pointed USB-UIRT to the reciever and it worked the first time. So I can verify USB-UIRT works find for the HD20 Directv receiver.

Return to Installation