DirecTV + Snapstream Firefly remotes + Hauppage 550 PVR card

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

DirecTV + Snapstream Firefly remotes + Hauppage 550 PVR card

Postby Marc » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:00 pm

I am trying to find a setup for my PC so that it can handle two DirecTV receivers at the same time. I am unsure what the best route is.
I have two sat. receivers (older models DRD303RA), brand new PC with Hauppage dual tuner card and just purchased two Snapstream Firefly remotes (trying to avoid re-wiring my home!) All I need to make this entire thing work is something to change the channels when I press buttons on my new remotes. I've been trying to make sense of USB-UIRT with some success. I've also been steered towards serial connections from my PC to the receiver.

Any insight, help, directions would be greatly appreciated before I spend money on something I don't need or can't use.

Marc
Marc

Postby jrhees » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:31 am

What PVR software will you be using?
jrhees
Site Admin

PVR Software

Postby Marc » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:06 pm

jrhees wrote:What PVR software will you be using?

I am open to suggestions, which is best? I have Hauppage's WinTV installed (which I am using to record my VCR tapes) The Snapstream remotes came with Beyond TV Basic (doesn't seem to do much) Ultimately I think I want to use Windows Media Center but I can't get it going until I have IR blasters installed. I'm kinda lost at this point.
Marc

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:13 pm

Marc,

If you want to use the USB-UIRT to change channels on your set-top-box, you'll need to use PVR SW that supports it. Unfortunately, Microsoft MCE only supports Microsoft's own IR blaster.

I don't believe WinTV2000 has any support for changing channels on cable/sat boxes.

I believe most Windows users use Sage or Snapstream, but there are many other less-commercial packages out there as well.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:11 am

I did some checking and Snapstream does sell a USB IR transmitter but you can only use one on a PC. I am assuming that I'd need two. Can I purchase a MCE remote from Microsoft or HP and use it? Or will it not cooperate with my Snapstream remotes system.

Since I have two receivers I am assuming that...

I would need two USB UIRT units to meet my needs?

One unit can't handle two receivers?

I will be a raging alcoholic by the time I get this system going.?

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:15 pm

Snapstream can support two identical receivers using the USB-UIRT. This requires some manual modifications to the Snapstream IR files and also using the 'zone' support on the USB-UIRT. Using the zone support will require you to purchase stick-on emitters and use a splitter to the rear jack of the USB-UIRT. The splitter will split the L and R channels of the rear jack to the two separate stick-on emitters. This will allow you to individually select one of the emitters when transmitting IR.

For more info on this, take a look at the Snapstreem forums.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Installation