Linux LIRC USB-UIRT HOWTO

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Postby mythic » Thu May 11, 2006 1:38 am

killercoder wrote:I'm looking for this patch (long story short - kernel upgrade forcing rebuild) - but nvelds site is down. Seems his provider is going bankrupt.

Does anyone have an active link to patch?

David

Same here but for a new system..
Someone please post a link... or something...
mythic

I have the patch and i can email it to you.

Postby john » Thu May 11, 2006 5:58 pm

i am so close to getting this working. however.

irsend sends every command twice when i there is an lircrc file present (but this file is necessary to get the receive part to be useful to invoke program (mythtv) commands)

when i delete the lircrc, now IRSEND sends each command once instead of twice. How can I get both send and receive working at the same time?
john

Postby Guest » Tue May 16, 2006 8:16 pm

I put Nvelds' patch on my site. Enjoy.
http://c.chez.fred.free.fr/lirc-0.7.1-usb_uirt.patch.bz2

Postby darthfoolish » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:27 pm

I get to the make install step, and I get an error:

configure: error: no driver specified, try ./configure --help
./configure.sh: line 9: --with-driver=usb-uirt2_raw: command not found

Anyone know what's going on?
darthfoolish

Postby judapeno » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:49 am

I followed benow's instructions for installing and patching lirc 7.1 on my Debian Sarge system. Everything installed fine except the lirc kernel modules. I don't see anything in the Makefile's that installs the .ko files. Maybe configure doesn't see something it's expecting?

David
judapeno

Postby judapeno » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:58 am

darthfoolish,

sorry I'm late, but I had the same problem and know the solution. There is a space at the end of one of the lines in your configure.sh script. Remove it and it should run.

David
judapeno

Here also...

Postby benow » Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:45 pm

neveld's 0.7.1 patch is also mirrored here: http://mirror.reachable.ca/lirc-0.7.1-usb_uirt.patch.bz2
benow

Postby mrmailer » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:32 am

this is all for earlier versions of lirc.
what about lirc .8.0? is there still a patch needed?
mrmailer

Postby benow » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:52 am

afaik it still doesn't work with .8. Perhaps someone has made it go.
benow

Postby Gawker » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:46 am

I made the mistake of buying a USB-UIRT for my new HTPC running MythTV under Fedora Core 5. I guess I didn't do my homework to discover that this thing is just this side of completely useless to the Linux world and that doesn't really settle well with me. I spent $58 for this thing and ordered it in along with all the necessary hardware to put the machine together and get everything running so that the delivery of all my hardware would coincide with some vacation time I took to put everything together and get the new toy working and tweaked to my preferences.

After getting everything going I spent 3 days googling my ass off trying to find ANY way of getting this thing running only to find out that the only way is to run old software with a patch that despite all efforts I could not get to run in order to create the proper old software to even attempt to install this thing.

Sunday 09.04.06 I ordered a serial unit from another provider...unfortunately they didn't offer any form of fast shipping through I was willing to pay double for overnight and today I'm still waiting for it. I assume it will be here Monday or Tuesday just in time for me to go back to work on Wednesday and not have the spare time to try and get it working until probably Xmas.

In the meantime I am stuck with this very expensive piece of hardware that I would MUCH prefer to use over a serial unit because the computer in question actually LACKS a serial port...I'll have to find an old serial header PCI slot and scalp the thing to adapt the IR unit to the motherboard header...would have been much easier to use the USB.

I'm a little curious why there hasn't been much effort put into getting Linux support for this unit. I'm not actually complaining or bitching, more like venting since I ended up spending an extra $30 for a unit that I wouldn't have needed if Linux were supported and didn't want plus my vacation will run out before I get a remote control working on my HTPC and that's kinda a bummer...

I'm going to keep checking back on this because the warranty for the USB-UIRT eliminates the possibility of me getting my money back simply because I use Linux. I assume there's nothing wrong with the unit but by the time I'm able to verify that my 90 day warranty will be long, LONG gone. If anyone figures out how to get this thing working under modern software please let me know because until then I'm solidly stuck with a very useless paperweight.
Gawker

Postby mrmailer » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:56 am

did you read myth faq thing about it?
mrmailer

Postby Gawker » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:10 pm

Yes I did, same old software, same patch, with the same instructions that I was unable to follow successfully. Basically when I downloaded the LIRC software (old version) and untared it I would use the bzcat command with the patch but no matter what I did or how I tried the computer could never find the patch file. I put it above the tar directory I put it IN the tar directory and nothing ever worked.
Gawker

Postby benow » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:54 am

Well, that's what we're here for, buddy. I ran thru the instructions again, and yes, the patch and the lirc version were at a mismatch. The old patch was for lirc0.7.0pre7 which did not patch cleanly against 0.7.1 (as instructed to download). The patching now works fine against 0.7.1 and, yes, it's a bummer that it's not the newest version.

I (and many others) have been using the usb-uirt under linux without issues. I've tried several of the serial ir transmitters without luck... perhaps you'll be fortunate. I'd try the download and patch procedure again (with the 0.7.1 patch). It should work fine. If not, spew here.

Welcome to the world of linux, where most whose using it successfully are blissfully quiet and most that fails move away frustrated before even asking for help. Keep on keeping on, and ask for help. You want to see it in the newest version: send in a patch against it, or send a nice message with the patch and version to the lirc mailing list.
benow

Postby mrmailer » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:23 am

benow, i have fc5 and just ordered a usb-uirt to use with mythtv and my wintv 150mce.

does .8.0 of lirc already have usb-uirt support? if not, where can i get patch for it?
mrmailer

Postby benow » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:50 am

You can't. As stated in previous post, roll your own or make noise on lirc mailing list. Use 0.7.1 and patch as in the instructions. If you don't need any of the new lirc features (which you probably don't), then it's no big deal.
benow

PreviousNext

Return to Installation