Girder and 2 USB-UIRT devices

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Girder and 2 USB-UIRT devices

Postby beach40 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:01 pm

Is there a way that I can use 2 USB-UIRT devices with Girder. I have tried and it seems only one works...like Girder does not distinguish between devices..its thinks there is only one.

Thanks
beach40

Postby jrhees » Sat Jul 30, 2005 5:26 pm

Yes, this can be done, but you need to request a special 'Second' USB-UIRT plugin from support@usbuirt.com

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:58 pm

Oops, I just asked if you could get multiple USBUIRT device control in another thread. Can you control more than 2? Will the plugin work with any program or just Girder?

hjackson

Postby jrhees » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:14 pm

Multiple USB-UIRT support is built into the USB-UIRT API. However, it is up to applications to support the multiple device feature (requires additional programming).

Currently Girder supports additional units as separate plugins -- this method was chosen rather than a single plugin to simplify life for the majority of users who use a single unit.

Other apps, such as SageTV, support multiple units by using special settings in the config file, etc.

With the right app support, any number of USB-UIRT's can be controlled on a single PC.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby DCulver » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:43 pm

Jon,

Is it possible to set up 2 usbuirt's, one to receive and one to transmit? I'm using Girder 4, and realize that the unit needs to complete transmission before it can receive, therefore I thought seperating the functions might speed things up a bit.

Dennis
DCulver

Postby jrhees » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:11 am

Yes, this can be done. If you want to do this, contact support@usbuirt.com to get the special 'second' Girder plugin.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby DCulver » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:56 pm

Jon,

Do you think this would speed up transmission of a command from Girder significantly?E.g. scrolling with arrow keys.

Dennis
DCulver

Postby jrhees » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:32 pm

If you're using Girder and a USB-UIRT to 'translate' one IR code to another, then likely YES. However, you'll have to isolate the IR paths -- the receiving USB-UIRT can be the only one to 'see' your remote, and in addition, the transmissing USB-UIRT (as well as any device it is controlling) must be completely hidden from the remote control's IR -- otherwise the device being controlled will see overlapping IR and not respond.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby DCulver » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:28 pm

Great. That is exactly what I want to do. The lag time between pushing the remote's button and response from the device can be irritating.

Dennis
DCulver

Postby noodleNT » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:56 pm

I do the same thing. I have my IR remote send bogus codes that are mapped in Girder 3.3 to retransmit the correct action to one of my cable boxes. I do this with 2 USB-UIRT so I have 4 zones. I do have speed issues and missed codes from time to time but it does work 95% of the time.

I want to upgrade to Girder 4 do to a problem of random crashes and a very odd bug where the screen saver gets disabled. Is it possible yet to use the second USB-UIRT with Girder 4?
noodleNT

Postby jrhees » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:28 pm

Yes,

Please request this plugin from support@usbuirt.com
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby CiXel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:16 pm

So Along these two USB-Uirt lines, if I purchase a second USB-Uirt, can I plug them both in and use them as if they were 1 unit (To extend my coverage), or would that require the 2 unit plugin as well?
CiXel

Postby jrhees » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:28 pm

What do you mean by 'extend your coverage' -- transmit? -- receive?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby CiXel » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:59 pm

jrhees wrote:What do you mean by 'extend your coverage' -- transmit? -- receive?

-Jon

Both would be nice.

As it is right now I have two tower cabinets that I built on either side on my TV. The distance between those towers is about 6 feet (. My USB-UIRT is on the right side of my cabinet near the computer, and the dvd player I want to control is in the OTHER tower. I have the USB-Uirt facing outward to catch the incoming signals, and I have a tail off the back up to my receiver.

I hadn't considered 2 USB-UIRTs and my inital thought was that I could connect another USB-UIRT to the computer to facilitate both sending and receiving of signals on the other side (acting as one big unit). Thinking about it now, I suppose that really wouldn't work because if both USB-UIRTs happened to see the same signal from my remote, it would probably get confused. I may be better off running a Long IR lead over to the other cabinet from the back of the device.

Another one may not be out of the question however, as I plan on doing some "remote translation" as well. Let me know how you guys make out with the Transmit/Receive idea, and if it really is faster.
CiXel

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:17 pm

Try smarthome.com for IR and other stuff

Next

Return to Installation