Help Controlling my Cable Box

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Help Controlling my Cable Box

Postby switzch » Mon May 16, 2005 3:38 pm

I posted this over in the girder forums - but I thought that I may get a better response here:

I am controlling a cable box SA3250 with a USB UIRT and it is working fairly well. However I have 1 complaint and was wondering if anyone has any solutions.

I have to hold the UP button on my remote which starts the guide to scroll much quicker than if I was just raplidly tapping UP. I want the ability to hold up and have the usbuirt send a constant blast of UP ir during this time. Is this possible?
switzch

Postby jrhees » Mon May 16, 2005 10:20 pm

First of all , what software are you using...Girder?

Secondly, how do you want to initiate/control the 'UP' blast? Are you using a remote control, a keyboard, or what?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon May 16, 2005 11:53 pm

yep, girder. I am using the up button on my remote to iniate the up blast.

Postby jrhees » Tue May 17, 2005 5:57 pm

The difficulty with this sort of setup is that even if you do program the USB-UIRT to send out a continuous blast, you'll run into the problem of IR collision (i.e., you'll be having two IR devices filling the room at the same time)

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue May 17, 2005 7:05 pm

Actually it wont because the cable box is in the closet with an irblaster attached to it.

Postby jrhees » Wed May 18, 2005 7:15 pm

Well,

The bad news is that the current single-USB-UIRT setup won't solve this for you. The USB-UIRT's design prohobits it from receiving and transmitting simultaneously.

The USB-UIRT *can* send out IR continuously (I call it IR streaming) but in this case you would need another IR receiver to continously monitor the incoming IR from your remote...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Installation