USB-UIRT w/ DISH setup

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT w/ DISH setup

Postby noob » Fri May 06, 2005 6:57 pm

My PC and my DISH 510 box are too far apart to connect with wires for a blaster. My understanding is that the USB-UIRT simply plugs into the computer w/out any need for wires from the PC to the DISH box. I am using coax for the connection to my PC, so that cabling is not an issue. Am I correct in assuming that there are no wires that need to connect USB-UIRT other than the connection from the device to the PC by way of the USB port? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
noob

Postby jrhees » Sun May 08, 2005 4:30 am

While the USB-UIRT connects to the PC via a USB connection, please keep in mind that the USB-UIRT must be in line-of-sight of the Dish box, since it sends infrared signals like most remotes. If this will not work, you might be able to run an external stick-on emitter over to the Dish box.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Dish Network and USBUIRT

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:14 pm

I also have a DN 4900 receiver that I have been trying to get to work with the USbUIRT. I'm going to ask a few noob questions here so bear with me.

1. Do I point the USBUIRT at the sensor on my DN receiver or do I point it at the seating area where I will be using the remote?
2. Do I need to install Grinder or some other medium software to make the USBUIRT work properly?
3. Is there any free software out there that I can use with my USBUIRT other than Grinder?
4. How do I have the USBUIRT learn remote keys?

Last thing..... Can someone help me through the install so that I can start using my system. That would be greatly appreciated. :D

Thanks a bunch!!

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:37 am

Hi

3. Is there any free software out there that I can use with my USBUIRT other than Grinder?

You could try xPL its a free Homeautomation software package which has a USB UIRT Plugin.....

http://www.xplproject.org.uk/

http://tinyurl.com/d5bd3

HTH
Frank

Return to Installation